PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum wheels !

muscleman
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey guys , Iv got some factory aluminum wheels on my Girlfriends 2006 Honda civic LX, she bought this car a little over a year ago and until now have had hubcaps over the wheels..... so as you could guess the brake dust is horrible the majority came off with basic wash and eagle 1 A2Z but there are still some trouble spots that wont brush out help!!!

jamesboyy
03-09-2014, 02:13 PM
You could try sonax full effect or iron x orthen if that don't help then get some acid

muscleman
03-09-2014, 02:16 PM
You could try sonax full effect or iron x orthen if that don't help then get some acid what tools would be best to scrub with ? is there anything stronger i can use that wont damage wheels?

muscleman
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
also sonax is awesome but definitely need something cheaper.

jamesboyy
03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Acid is about the strongest product you can try before having to refinish the wheels, and when I clean wheels like these I used stiff, and soft short handle brushes with a spoke brush and acid you can buy for 6 or 7 dollars, and sonax you can get for 16 dollars free shipping

ShaunD
03-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Majority of OEM wheels are clear coated/powder coated, so unless you see spots of bare aluminum where the coating has worn/deteriorated, you aren't actually cleaning aluminum. I have had good results with LA's totally awesome, which is like a concentrated version of mist otc wheel cleaners. Sticking with Eagle1 aluminum cleaner will be the safest if you are dealing with bare aluminum. Rubbing compound may be a good option as well and will serve two purposes. Removing baked on dust and grime, and bring gloss back to the finish.
A magic eraser my help as well.

muscleman
03-09-2014, 04:49 PM
which brushes are safe to use and not to use on factory aluminum wheels

jamesboyy
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Go to autogeek store type in wheel brush from there you will see some choices of brushes that are safe for your wheels, some bad wheel brush choices would be steel or brass brushes

muscleman
03-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys great advice!

ShaunD
03-09-2014, 07:19 PM
which brushes are safe to use and not to use on factory aluminum wheels

Boar's hair brushes are one of the best choices (if not the best) for effective, yet gentle cleaning on any finish. Round tip brushes are one of the best types for wheels because you can get into tight areas and gently work at stubborn brake dust. A cheaper route would be the synthetic feathered tip brushes that Mother's has. Stiff or sturdy bristles yet very soft, featured tips is what your are looking for in any brush.