PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine bay cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

muscleman
03-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering in your opinion what is the best engine degreaser ? something economical that will destroy oil and grease but not stain the engine block or stain/fade any rubber or black plastic pieces under the hood.

dchristo
03-08-2014, 11:43 PM
purple power

muscleman
03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Iv heard good and bad things about this and have used it before but not in the engine bay do you need to dilute it?

custmsprty
03-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Griots

Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner, Griots Engine Cleaner and Degreaser, auto engine cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-engine-cleaner.html)

muscleman
03-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Griots

Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner, Griots Engine Cleaner and Degreaser, auto engine cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-engine-cleaner.html)

can you dilute griots or no? I need something that will work on tough oil build up but still last a long time and do a lot of cars

jamesboyy
03-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Another vote for purple power, and depending on how dirty your engine bay that is how you dilute the product

muscleman
03-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Another vote for purple power, and depending on how dirty your engine bay that is how you dilute the product Thanks man! i know purple power is cheap and strong which is definitely what I'm looking for but for example say I don't dilute it. Will it ruin my engine bay ?

jamesboyy
03-09-2014, 12:02 AM
It wont ruin it but if your engine bay is not really dirty, and you use the product straight it may cause some discoloration or the black plastic parts, but after applying a dressing it will disappear

CowboyTruckn
03-09-2014, 12:06 AM
All clean

muscleman
03-09-2014, 12:07 AM
It wont ruin it but if your engine bay is not really dirty, and you use the product straight it may cause some discoloration or the black plastic parts, but after applying a dressing it will disappear

Ok, cool so what dilution ratio would guarantee not to spot or stain anything...I know you cant guarantee anything but what would be your best guess.

jamesboyy
03-09-2014, 12:15 AM
For engines I use a 1:7 dilution ratio

twobucket
03-09-2014, 01:21 AM
no mention of OPC?

Radarryan
03-09-2014, 03:50 AM
no mention of OPC?

Yeah, I love it, but it's usually too expensive for most, especially on the engine bay. Optimum Power Clean is usually reserved for paint, interiors, etc - some place that is sensitive. For engines, most go with a cheap OTC solution.

That being said, OPC at full strength should give good cleaning power and not discolor any plastics. They advertise it as the safest out there, so I certainly wouldn't be worried in the engine compartment.

Whatever you go with, maybe do a test spot to see if there is any discoloration, that way you know before doing the whole bay. Good luck and happy detailing!

PA DETAILER
03-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Got to try some Detailers Pro engine cleaner. Totaly safe and a great product!

Gokite
03-09-2014, 08:17 AM
One part PP to seven parts water? Or the opposite?