PDA

View Full Version : Removing window tinting

freddie46
03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a friend who has a Honda and the rear window is clouding so bad he can hardly see out of it. Does anyone have any experience removing the tinting? He bought the car used and doesn't know who installed it and doesn't have any warranty.
Feed back please

Sterling138
03-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Spray all purpose cleaner on the back window and then take a cling rap or plastic rap and squeegee it on the back window and let it bake in the sun a while and it should remove it!

HD.Detailing
03-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Spray all purpose cleaner on the back window and then take a cling rap or plastic rap and squeegee it on the back window and let it bake in the sun a while and it should remove it!

this or get a fabric steamer.. open doors and place the steam end in the center of bottom and let steam for about 45 min and your golden..

DO NOT just yank it off without doing one of these two methods

Sterling138
03-08-2014, 10:01 PM
be careful of the rear defroster, don't scrape it off because it wont work if you do!

freddie46
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I will pass the information on to my friend.

Fred:xyxthumbs:

brondondolon
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Tell him to go to harbor freight and get a $12 heat gun and razor blades. If there is rear defroster wires then get plastic razor blades and a putty knife. A torch will also be helpful but not necessary. Apply heat to a corner and use the putty knife or razor to lift it. Once you can get ahold of it start pulling and heating at the same time. Try your best not to tear it.

It's a PITA and will take a while so be patient. It's not a fun job at all.

To remove adhesive left behind use goof off.

For the amount of work required I'd just take it to a tint shop. They will remove it for 15-50 dollars.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

HD.Detailing
03-12-2014, 10:08 PM
With steam or plastic bag no residue will be left, I'm a tinter and those are the two processes a competent shop will use.

Goodluck

Sent from my Alien Ship