PDA

View Full Version : Polish fully broken down before wipe off

TrolleyVW
03-08-2014, 11:05 AM
This may sound stupid and noobish but I've had a recurring issue that I've seemed to remedy:

When I've used m205 on a white CCS pad as more of a one step clean up, I would prime, then add 4 dime sized drops and do about a 3x3 section. Working the product 5-6 passes each way, I would go to wipe off.

I'd wipe with a dry Gold Plush and then use Menzerna Top inspection eith another clean towel. After pulling into the sun, I noticed what seemed to be towel marring. It drove me nuts. I thought my towels were all contaminated, dust in the garage, the Top inspection being non lubrious...

I tried everything I could think of. Using brand new towels, ONR to remove polish, very light to no pressure, and trying both sides of the towel.

Then I finally had an epiphany; maybe I wasn't working m205 long enough? I then went about my normal process only doing 4 full section passes instead of two. I wiped off with a dry towel and low and behold, no marring!

Now the reason I've said all of this was not to waste your time, those of you thinking "well obviously you have to work the product in", but to help anyone else thinking that towel marring is impossible to avoid. I've said this to give those of you just one more option to try before losing your mind and settling for sub par results.

I also ask, while using a SMAT product such as m205, how do you know when it flashes? I know for DAT products such as Uber compound, it becomes clear rather than being translucent. With 205, I never truly saw it become clear.

All that being said, my car looks fantastic now that I figured this out.

Flash Gordon
03-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Great tip! Some of the best ideas come from trying things outside the box

Nothing more satisfying then figuring out something that once frustrated you

inDetail
03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Wait until the polish flashes out then you know that pass is finished.

sayroger
03-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I didn't think m205 broke down any. true or not true! I have been reading up on m205. I haven't used it yet waiting to use up other polishes before i get some.

HateSwirls
03-08-2014, 02:25 PM
I find working with Meguiar's 205 Ultra Fine Polish works best using a white pad and only making four passes then buff off.
More than four passes doesn't work as well for me, it begins to dry on me.
It's my go to Polish.