PDA

View Full Version : AIO Pad

KBsToy
03-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Which pad would I use to apply an AIO. Cutting, Polish or wax ?

Thanks !!

Dogfather
03-08-2014, 10:19 AM
I use an LC white polishing pad.

Tato
03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Greetings,

What pads do you have, and what AIO are you willing to use?

Here are my 0.02$, hope I help a little.

Some time ago I've placed a thread using an AIO (XMT360) on a Peugeot. On this thread, I have a picture showing a test spot using different pads with the same product.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/75723-360-aio-transformation-peugeot.html

My recommendation is for you to try the 'Coarsest PAD' that finishes better in your case (will depend on defects severity and softness/hardness of your paint).

I mean, if you can use a cutting pad and yet finish down nicely that's the pad of choice.

You can also try using the AIO on a cutting pad first, and then do a second step using a polishing/finishing pad (same product), it'll work, but definitively it's not the best approach in this case: Why use a 1-step product doing 2-steps? Got it? But can work sometimes.

I tend to use lake country hydro-tech Tangerine, because it's a light cutting/polish pad, that means it'll tackle many defects yet finishing down nice.

Cyan Hydrotech pad (a cutting pad) is another one that cuts high yet finish nice.

If you use too fine pad, maybe you'll just hide some defects and make swirls shine. For me, it's not a beautiful finish.

If you use too coarser pad, maybe you'll cut down many defects, but will finish in a haze.

The 'trick' is to find the common sense between cutting and finishing pads that fits your case, and you'll have to do some test spots to find it out. Play around with different pressure, arm speed and polisher speed.

After using an AIO, I tend to top it with a pure carnauba wax, like Pinnacle Souveran (liquid version). It's easy and fast to apply, a breeze to remove, and will enrich any work you top it with.

In my opinion, the LC green polishing pad (light polishing), generally recommended for AIOs, cuts too little for my taste. I tend to go for higher cut, like I've said, the coarser that finishes nicely.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

BillyJack
03-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Most often when using an AIO, I find myself using a Meguiar's Yellow pad, which IMO is very similar in cut to an LC White. The products I use most frequently are Meg's D151, DG501 or Blackfire TPS and it works well for me on all the paints I've come across.

Bill

inDetail
03-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I always go for orange pad LC first it gets me in the sweet spot of what an AIO is good for. Max out the correction, keeps the product on the paint to push the working time, finish down fairly well and clean the paint.

Tato
03-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Great answers, thank you.

@Bill named 3 great AIO to choose from, and @inDetail went right through the point I've learned 'the hard way'... The cutting pad for AIO.

I've struggled a bit when first using AIO because I tend to lean towards the basic recommendation - light polishing pad. Indeed, AIO generally got such fine abrasives that you'll only get desired cut with a stronger pad. The trick part is getting the desired finish. LC offers too many pads that will cut high and finish great, Hybrids and Hydro-Tech have more of this appeal, but Flat and CCS can even. Meg's Yellow Polishing Pad is great as well.

Another way I've used AIO was following compound step, to polish and seal right after in 1-step. In this case, I went with a white polishing pad.

@KBsSS, I appreciate your PM and came here to say I've learned a lot reading the answers to your question, thanks for that.

Kind Regards.