PDA

View Full Version : Another silly questions?

Superblackbird
07-11-2007, 01:10 AM
As we all know theres so many polishing products in the market.Just out of ignorant,whats makes each product different from each other?Afterall a polish is a polish righ?Is it the ingredient,etc...etc..etc..that makes the difference beside the prices? :confused:Feed back please

blue oval
07-11-2007, 01:28 AM
I like shine products that wont stain trim/rubber, that would also include exceptional durability. Duragloss meets that criteria for me. I'm one of the types that proposes it a challenge to keep from using abrasive polishes. Love the P21S paintwork cleansing lotion.

FMINUS
07-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Thats kind of like saying that a Toyota is the same a BMW, they are all made of steel, rubber, and plastic!

The difference is in the quality and material that is used, and the engineering and innovation behind the product.

However, there are A LOT of products out there that are identical in performance but vary greatly in price.

TOGWT
07-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Polish / Compound Abrasive Abilities:
The abrasion or cutting ability of a polish on a 0-10 scale; least abrasive to most, a rating of 0 would constitute a functionally nonabrasive material (i.e. diatomaceous earth or Kaolin) a 10 rating would be 800 grit abrasive.

The most common abrasive used is silica however; many formulators are also using aluminium oxide. Most good compounds and polishes contain diminishing abrasives and are a combination of both silica and aluminium oxide. Think of them as liquid sandpaper, they are formulated with a lubricant (polymer or solvents in a water-emulsion) and an abrasive size of approx. 0.3 –0.4 micron, (diminishing abrasives) are minerals that diminishes with friction heat, buffered or cushioned in a lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Most good compounds are a combination of both silica and aluminium oxide. Some very abrasive compound polishes don’t feel abrasive to the touch because the particles are formulated in a water-in-oil emulsion and are not released without friction-heat.

As was suggested polishes vary (like all things) on the quality of the materials used (this is the largest variable) R&D and marketing costs,