PDA

View Full Version : plasti dip gloss on tires last forever

Pages : [1] 2

zacetzel
03-07-2014, 11:26 PM
has anyone ever tried useing plasti dip clear gloss on tires as a tire shine ? im thinking o doing an experiment on the matter but i wanted everyone opions first. please and thank you

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-07-2014, 11:37 PM
I mean......the coating would come off with scrubbing. But if you wash them regularly....why not. I imagine youd have to fully clean the tires and apply a few coats ensuring you get no overspray on paint. I personally feel itd be a waste. But experiment and see. Im interested.

Flash Gordon
03-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a wonderful project!

* Subscribed

SYMAWD
03-07-2014, 11:44 PM
PlastiDip gloss does not stay glossy forever and is a pain in the butt to remove from tires if you leave it on them for too long.

hernandez.art13
03-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd be subscribed and tuned in to this experiment.

Who knows you might end the future sales of all future tire dressings:)

But I think it might not hold up so well and look to plasticky, even though it is rubber :D

Well only one way to find out. Try it out and let us know how it works out.

:props:

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

zacetzel
03-07-2014, 11:59 PM
well i made the mistake of useing turtlewax tire coating last year and it looks terrible now all cracked and yellowed so first i have to get that cleaned off which i have already tried my best tire cleaner and a wire brush. but i figure something out then i will do it on the tires and take pics as a time lapse.

GreatAvalon
03-08-2014, 12:44 AM
^Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner

PiPUK
03-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Cracking may be an issue, as above.

zacetzel
03-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Cracking may be an issue, as above.
plasti dip does not crack or split i have used it before on other items that where flexed lie extensions cords and it never cracked it flexed with the cord. but i dont know it has to warm up a bit here first and the snow has to be gone, but as soon as that happens i will try it and take before, after, and during pics.:xyxthumbs:

SYMAWD
03-08-2014, 10:53 PM
plasti dip does not crack or split i have used it before on other items that where flexed lie extensions cords and it never cracked it flexed with the cord. but i dont know it has to warm up a bit here first and the snow has to be gone, but as soon as that happens i will try it and take before, after, and during pics.:xyxthumbs:

I honestly don't see it lasting for more than a week, but I hope it works for you.

Matt-erhorn
03-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Glossifier can be quite finicky and plasti dip on tires is really quite a pain. My friend once sprayed his wheels black without masking the tires and 6 months later we are still finding overspray on the tires. We can't get it off with a tire brush no matter how much we scrub but don't think that means it will last forever. Because a majority of it flew off the tire once they heated up on the first drive, what was left is in the tiny cracks and is still a pain. As much as the ideas sounds cool, it just isn't very realistic.

hernandez.art13
03-09-2014, 02:03 AM
Have you guys seen the video of people making their own white wall tires? Very interesting but looks scary :dunno:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwevOfIUqA]Making Wide Whitewalls for the ratrod - YouTube[/video]

sorry for going off topic. If you guys want I could start a thread on this very subject :D

if the plasti tire dip idea does work... then one could change the color of their tires to blue, green, purple etc... whatever plasti dip colors there is out there :)

rickylexus250
03-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Plasti dip a rubberised coating, your tyres are rubber, what's the point?
NOW if you were going to do a different colour that that would be a first.

cagui1223
05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Over time glossifier will lose shine considerably, most of all on an area where there is constant brake-dust. You'll be left with a coating that will look dirty no matter how many times you wash it. That's what happened on my BMW center caps.

Spymonkey
06-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Glossifier can be quite finicky and plasti dip on tires is really quite a pain. My friend once sprayed his wheels black without masking the tires and 6 months later we are still finding overspray on the tires. We can't get it off with a tire brush no matter how much we scrub but don't think that means it will last forever. Because a majority of it flew off the tire once they heated up on the first drive, what was left is in the tiny cracks and is still a pain. As much as the ideas sounds cool, it just isn't very realistic.
Removing plastidip is easy, just use mineral spirits.

Plastidip can last for a long time, I did on my hood (for fun) and it last for about a few months until I remove it because I got bored of it. I still have some left on my side mirror for almost 6 months now, still there.