PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz Dlux safe for headlights

FRSstyle
03-07-2014, 03:04 PM
So I bought a brand new car, and the replacement headlights are expensive.

I want to be sure I care for my headlights the right way.

Would Dlux be safe for the headlights?

And would it provide adequate protection if I were to apply it 2-3 times a year?

MarkD51
03-07-2014, 03:16 PM
So I bought a brand new car, and the replacement headlights are expensive.

I want to be sure I care for my headlights the right way.

Would Dlux be safe for the headlights?

And would it provide adequate protection if I were to apply it 2-3 times a year?

I would think it would be fine, no problems whatsoever. I myself would do such, coat them, but perhaps not buff the product after to insure no hazing, or marring of the glossy finish of the product, just insure an even coating, and let that cure-dry.

Then do not wet for at least 24 hours for a good full cure time.

While there might be a couple products on the market that might outlast CQuartz DLX, and would be better suited for such, such as Optimum's Opti-Lens, and Opti-Coat, I would also assume that you could also do a lot worse, in that virtually all waxes, and conventional sealants would probably not last as long as DLX.

I myself have bought the product twice. That's how highly I think of it, and once you use this product, you'll be looking for all sorts of things to coat on your vehicle.

I coated quite a bit of stuff on my large SUV (Tahoe) and still have 1/2 bottle left of the two. I was liberal in application, and there were lots of pieces to do such as wiper cowl, step bumpers, all window trim, side moulding trim, all door handles-tailgate handles, lower front Air Damn-Air Deflector, Wiper Arms, etc.

Knowing me, I'll probably go ahead, coat some stuff again, and maybe even start hitting some under hood plastics.

And when I run out? Yep, you guessed it, I'll buy me another bottle, fantastic stuff!

I would guess 3 times a year would definitely insure you have CQuartz protection, even on a daily driver that sits outside 24/7

FRSstyle
03-07-2014, 03:59 PM
does it go on and dry clear?

in other words, would anybody be able to look at them and tell I applied something there?

Jaretr1
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I use Dlux on all the exterior plastic and trim including headlights and tailights. On the trim the Dlux lasted over a year. Hard to tell how long it lasted on the headlights but after over a year there is no sign of oxidation.

MarkD51
03-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, it is a pure clear liquid. I don't think you'll have to worry about yellowing.

I would say with any plastics, especially headlights, which seem to be the most prone to degradation, a coating, of almost any kind, provided it possesses no abrasives will be beneficial.

To carefully keep an eyeball on all lenses, see any moisture, address it quickly, with whatever it takes.

Usually, all light housings possess a gasketed lamp fixture, that is one of those 1/4, or 1/2 turn affairs, with the lamp.

Through washings, and inclement weather, moisture (water) gets in.
The first signs of such, address that issue, blowdryers, etc, to dry out internals, and re-do lamp assemblies with a good dielectric grease on the gaskets, to seal such from any further water-moisture intrusion.
Mark

The list is vast, megs #20, Collinite, Duragloss, Sonax, WG, Pinnacle, DP (especially the coatings) etc etc.

Just make sure no abrasives are used, until the time after many years dictates such.

And that's one beauty of AG, of how to restore such.

I think a bigger detriment to headlights, and all other lights, is intrusion of moisture.