PDA

View Full Version : Wool vs. Microfiber Pads?

mdgrwl
03-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Im trying to understand the main difference between a wool cutting pad, and a MF cutting pad... both seam to be described as doing the same thing.

Im considering the Meguiars Cutting Microfiber and LC Purple Foamed Wool pads in specific.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-07-2014, 03:17 PM
What machine will you be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdgrwl
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Porter Cable

WRAPT C5Z06
03-07-2014, 03:44 PM
THIN purple foamed wool is more aggressive than MF cutting pads on a PC. If you want the most/fastest cut, go PFW. However, MF cutting pads do an excellent job as well.

FWIW, Meg's MF pads are my favorite as far as MF pads.

mdgrwl
03-07-2014, 04:06 PM
^ Thanks. And I'm guessing just go with M105 over D300 and get to business, correct?

Seems M105 is still prefered over D300 for MF pads in general.

David at LC Pads
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
What machine will you be using?

:iagree: The machine will make a difference.

I will assume you are using a porter cable or something similar. This information is very useful for giving the proper advice.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/43194-da-cutting-pad-show-down.html (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/43194-da-cutting-pad-show-down.html)

This link doesn't answer your question directly but may be good reference point.

For a Porter cable, Griots 6" polisher, similar polishers. -

The idea of both pads are similar - The fiber strands can be coated with abrasives, giving it a more aggressive characteristic compared to foam. (more surface area compared to a foam pad = more abrasive surface.

To keep it simple, I would say a thin purple foamed wool is similar to a MF pad but with an extra punch of cutting power.

The material of the purple foamed wool pads is more aggressive than microfiber, and the stiffness compared to MF helps it cut faster also.

The purple foamed wool is ideal for heavily damaged paint and defect removal, hard paint, sanding mark removal, and just heavy compounding in general.

Microfiber pads are great and have so many useful situations, but the PFW is a great cutting pad.

Hopefully that helped a little bit.

mdgrwl
03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
It does, thanks :)

mdgrwl
03-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Any further input from folks personal preference? And also what compound you've found works best?

TundraPower
03-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Any further input from folks personal preference? And also what compound you've found works best?

Megs MF pads work fine but will leave dual-action hazing. Rupes MF Pads don't have quite the cut but are much smoother and do not haze. Menzerna FG400, Rupes Zephir, and Scholl Concepts are all very good with these pads.

Flash Gordon
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM

6.5 Surbuf Pads will get you your deepest cut using a 7424 IMO

Megs MF pads work fine but will leave dual-action hazing. Rupes MF Pads don't have quite the cut but are much smoother and do not haze. Menzerna FG400, Rupes Zephir, and Scholl Concepts are all very good with these pads.

What kind of steamer do you have?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-12-2014, 01:33 PM
:iagree: The machine will make a difference.

I will assume you are using a porter cable or something similar. This information is very useful for giving the proper advice.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/43194-da-cutting-pad-show-down.html (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/43194-da-cutting-pad-show-down.html)

This link doesn't answer your question directly but may be good reference point.

For a Porter cable, Griots 6" polisher, similar polishers. -

The idea of both pads are similar - The fiber strands can be coated with abrasives, giving it a more aggressive characteristic compared to foam. (more surface area compared to a foam pad = more abrasive surface.

To keep it simple, I would say a thin purple foamed wool is similar to a MF pad but with an extra punch of cutting power.

The material of the purple foamed wool pads is more aggressive than microfiber, and the stiffness compared to MF helps it cut faster also.

The purple foamed wool is ideal for heavily damaged paint and defect removal, hard paint, sanding mark removal, and just heavy compounding in general.

Microfiber pads are great and have so many useful situations, but the PFW is a great cutting pad.

Hopefully that helped a little bit.
:iagree: