PDA

View Full Version : teaching customer how to detail their own cars

CowboyTruckn
03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Just had an idea... I hear a lot I wish I could make it look like that or would like to learn...

Maybe a crazy idea but offer a hands on detail for extra dollar amount where you can talk in depth why you're doing something, what it does, let them help in the detail and get their feet wet where they might be able to try themselves...
You should charge more because you might not get the repeat but you may get a more maintained car from them the next time

Mike Phillips
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Good question...

Now days I always encourage my customer to watch and help. The biggest reason is because I want them to,

A: Appreciate the work that goes into their car.

B: Appreciate the time that it takes to do it right and thus appreciate the cost of the job.

C: Learn as much as they can to take care of the finish after I'm done with their car so they can maintain it into the future.

For example I always teach them how to inspect the paint both visually and with their hand and what to do with what the inspect shows them.

I always show them how to INSPECT a microfiber towel before using it and then how to fold it and use it with spray detailers, and boosters like the Black Label Coating Booster.

Years ago I offered one-on-one training and when I did this I charged $300.00 to $500.00 for the day. That was probably 20 years ago now...

I get requests all the time for one-on-one training but at this time I share the link to the schedule for my detailing boot camp classes.

Class Dates for 2014 – Same Time Each Year (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-detailing-bootcamp-class-2-day-class/74960-class-dates-2014-same-time-each-year.html)

:)

Just02896
03-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Just had an idea... I hear a lot I wish I could make it look like that or would like to learn...

Maybe a crazy idea but offer a hands on detail for extra dollar amount where you can talk in depth why you're doing something, what it does, let them help in the detail and get their feet wet where they might be able to try themselves...
You should charge more because you might not get the repeat but you may get a more maintained car from them the next time

Sounds like a good idea but would be more cost/time effective if you could run classes with multiple students. Having someone watching over your shoulder while you recon their vehicle will definitely extend the job time therefor reducing your hourly rate. And there's really no way to estimate how much longer the job might take. Maybe figure another $100 to account for an extra 2 hours? Trial and error I guess. On the flip side, your customer will will have a much better understanding and appreciation of the work that goes into a full detail and will most likely not want to end up doing it themself!

rouxster
03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
More and more businesses are doing this same idea and I love it. I used to work the in the IT department for a commercial collection agency and they started teaching clients how to avoid letting their customers get behind on paying invoices.

You aren't necessarily teaching yourself out of a job. Most people want to have the knowledge on how to detail a car, maybe to try and keep a few small things up on their car, but don't have the time to do a full detail.

It's a classic principle...teach your customers how to fish instead of catching the fish for them :)

FUNX650
03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Very altruistic way of thinking on your part.

However:
I bet this kinda goes against the train-of-thought of many people that depend upon the income generated through professionally "detailing", and maintaining customers' vehicles, for supporting their families.

Bob

CowboyTruckn
03-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Very altruistic way of thinking on your part.

However:
I bet this kinda goes against the train-of-thought of many people that depend upon the income generated through professionally "detailing", and maintaining customers' vehicles, for supporting their families.

Bob

Agree, but I have a normal Mon thru Fri job. This is strictly my side gig...

FUNX650
03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Agree, but I have a normal Mon thru Fri job. This is strictly my side gig...
So many times in my lifetime I've heard the lamentations of those that have had to experience the same set of loss-of-income circumstances that they have promulgated that others be faced with.

I dislike both scenarios with all my heart, soul, and strength.

Bob

Paintxpert
03-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone. Educating my clients has been my agenda and motto since my inception. People say, aren't you fearing people will take your job? People today don't want to labor. As I hand them my rotary, here, have at it. Not many takers. Knowledge is indeed power, in all of Gods works. The more you teach, the greater the gifts received, like paying it forward. As for me, I didn't receive a single lesson using my hundred pound Milwaukee back in the day. People were hard pressed to teach me anything 40 years back. You know it was cave man technology. Luckily, things have evolved nicely in the industry, and people as a whole are more sharing, at least my finding on this forum of dedicated pros. This forum for example, a plethora of info, for anyone interested. Lets hope Spring comes early. Be well!

VP Mark
03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Most people don't care how you detail their car. Maybe 1 in 10 clients is vaguely interested in how I detail, 1 in 20 might have me order them some ONR or something similar.