PDA

View Full Version : What is the best and safest way to clean an engine?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ltoman
07-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I used to think you could take it around the corner to the wash it yourself car wash and use the high pressure sprayer, but I have learned that is a big no no.

Ok, so what can I do that is safe? Especially for the vette. I worked on it today and figured it was time to do more regular upkeep.

thank you!

LT:)

D
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Youll get different opinions about this. Some think a pressure washer is fine, others dont. But heres my process.

Engine is 100% cold
Cover wires, sensors, filter, etc., with aluminum foil
Mist engine lightly with water
Spray on Amazing Roll Off full strength (can be used on ANYTHING) Let sit for a couple minutes
Scrub bad areas with brush
LIGHTLY rinse off with slow light stream of water
Blow dry with leaf blower immediately
After its pretty dry turn engine on and continue to dry. Let engine get up to temp.
Leave engine on, or turn it off. Spray on AA tire foam, let sit for awhile. Wipe off excess. I dont care if let you let the AA foam "bake" on there for 5 minutes, there will still be excess that needs to be wiped off.

Thejoyofdriving
07-11-2007, 12:50 AM
What i do on every car i have ever detailed is just use a high pressure garden hose(cold engine of course) I have never covered any wires or any other components, i have used this on my bmw, a costomers audi, and a costumers maserati. I have never had any problems, the computer and all the wireing on all these cars are waterproof. i use griots garage engine cleaner with oil eating microbes(it has microbes which are alive, they eat the oil and grease and break it down into harmless components), and some simple green, 303 cleaner, and griots rubber cleaner.

klumzypinoy
07-11-2007, 01:06 AM
What i do on every car i have ever detailed is just use a high pressure garden hose(cold engine of course) I have never covered any wires or any other components, i have used this on my bmw, a costomers audi, and a costumers maserati. I have never had any problems, the computer and all the wireing on all these cars are waterproof. i use griots garage engine cleaner with oil eating microbes(it has microbes which are alive, they eat the oil and grease and break it down into harmless components), and some simple green, 303 cleaner, and griots rubber cleaner.

Live microbes!? Wow, reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2, with those insects that eat crude oil... Kinda sounds krazy having a product that has living things :p.

Lauren, I have never cleaned an engine yet.

D
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
I have never had any problems, the computer and all the wireing on all these cars are waterproof.

Im glad you mentioned that. The engine bay is different for every manufacturer. Comparing an Audi to a Ford, you hardly have to cover anything on an Audi because everything is sealed so nice, different story on Fords.

ZoranC
07-11-2007, 01:23 AM
What i do on every car i have ever detailed is just use a high pressure garden hose(cold engine of course) I have never covered any wires or any other components, i have used this on my bmw, a costomers audi, and a costumers maserati.
Consider yourself way too lucky so far.

Jimmie
07-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Here's my routine:
Cool engine
Cover alternator; belts; filters. I use towels but one of the best I've
heard is a shower cap from the $1 store.
Spray on degreaser. I use a pressurized pump bottle (Big Lots) with
degreaser 1:1. Let sit for 5 min.
Rinse Off. No need to flood. Light stream will do.

Spray AA Tire Foam. Spray entire engine bay.

Remove covers on alternator; belts; etc. Do NOT forget this step.

Start engine. Run for approx. 5 min. Yep waste that gas @ $3 gal.

Wipe down all excess and streaks. Done.

Redo problem areas up in the spray degreaser and rinse steps if necessary. Agitate with a brush during these steps if necessary.

TOGWT
07-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Joyofdriving- I'd agree you been very lucky not to cause engine /computer problems thus far. FWIW don't try your engine cleaning method on an older / vintage auto.

supercharged
07-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I cover altenator, fans, sensors, and air filter with a few plastic bags. Then lightly rinse the engine, and spray ZEP Citrus Degreaser cut 1:1 (can be found in Home Depot in gallon sizes) on engine, rubber hoses, reservior tanks. Let it sit for a few minutes, and spray a little bit more. Then work the engine bay with a brush (I like Short handle green brush from AG, and EZ brush). Then simply rinse everything off. Wipe off major spills of water, and spray AA tire foam. Crank up the engine and let it bake for 15 minutes. Pop the hood open and Wipe off any spills left. Done.

jesselyons2002
07-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Has anyone seen there connection after sparying the engine bay down ???
Also cover the batterie too.

bambo2888
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
The absolute best way is to steam clean.

cullen2505
07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
If you can find it, CD-2 Engine Detailer.

greg'sgoat
07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Lauren, I have done a couple of the LS2's and LS1's. Since the Vettes Fuel Rail Cover on the drivers side doesn't come off unless you disconnect the fuel line, it is easier to leave them both on, this pretty much covers up the coils and fuel injector wiring harness. I cover the intake (if you have an open filter) and that is it. I avoid trying to spray in the area of the PCM and alternator, but do not cover them (a little water won't hurt, after all, they are in an open engine bay that is exposed to wet roads.

I use DP's Engine degreaser, works great. I let a cold engine idle for under a minute, then shut off. This is just to warm up the crud a little. I wait a minute or two, and the spray the degreasser on (again, avoiding the alternator, pcm, and areas with large, relativly unprotected wiring harness and the battery). Let sit for another min or two, and then rinse with a garden hose (very little pressure). You do not want to soak the engine, just enough to rinse of the degreaser and dirt. You can use a brush to agitate heavily gunked areas (I don't imagine you'd have them on a '07 but...). Then after all the water dries, I spray on ArmorAll tire foam to all the plastics, and QD the metal lips of the fenders and bumpers so I don't get any water spots.

I'd much rather have to do two degreasing's spread out over an hour, then spray way too much water into the engine bay. Hope this helps.

devst8
07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
anyone tried 3M Foaming Engine Degreaser (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-foaming-engine-degreaser.html) before? I'm curious about this product

ScottB
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
be very careful with the coils (under covers) and the air-intake on the Vette. I would NOT pressure clean personally. Do a cleanup monthly with a damp towel and some DP Exterior Cleaner. I then coat all painted items with Souveran Spray Wax , all lines with 303 Protectant (no silicone to capture dirt), and Klasse AIO on waterspots. A couple small brushes will remove sand in top corners near the strut assemblies.