PDA

View Full Version : Help/advice deciding new wool wash mitt!

Radarryan
03-07-2014, 04:51 AM
I am needing some help and advice regarding which new wool wash mitt I should purchase. Currently, I am using the CarPro Wool Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html) and am very happy with it, but I am left wondering if there is another mitt that is better for me out there.

Specifically, I am wondering if I should take the plunge and get the Dodo Juice Supernatural Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/supernatural-wash-mitt.html) aka The Wookie's Fist. It's double the price than the CarPro, but you get two sides instead of one, so I guess it works out with detailer's math.

There are also the new additions that seem to "copy" the design of the CarPro mitt and Wookie's Fist:
Koala Wash Mitt, wool wash mitt, best car wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/koala-wash-mitt.html) is CarPro style
and,
Aussie Merino Wool Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/merino-wool-car-wash-mitt.html) is Wookie style.

I really like the feel that wool mitts give when gliding over the paint, even though they are a pain in the neck to deal with. That being said, has anyone used any other wash media that they really fell in love with? I'm curious to hear...

So, what do you all think? Have I over thought this and should just stick with what I know I like - CarPro Wool Mitt? Or should I take the dive into a double sided wool mitt? Let me know what you all think.

Thanks for the help and, as always, happy detailing! :dblthumb2:

CowboyTruckn
03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
The last one I have used was mother's wool a few years back before switching to the dread style mitts. I've been wanting to get the do do juice one myself.

maximus5403
03-07-2014, 08:42 AM
I have the Wookie fist. I like it, but I find it is harder to get debris out versus my old Uber wool wash mitt. Also, the Wookie fist has seed debris in it when new, so you really want to wash it and pick through it before first use. I washed mine twice and finally seem to have gotten all the seed debris out. I've been using mine for a little over a week now and when I am all done the strands of wool are all stuck to my hands. It's a great washing mit but there is a break in time I guess.

hernandez.art13
03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I bought one. While the mitt worked great when using it. IMO if was a pain in the buttocks to deal with and for $30+ it was money that I lost. It was mainly my user error why my wookie passed.

I used it a few times and one of the times I forgot it in the bucket for about 2 weeks. (Damp)

I then tried rescuing it by rinsing it off and letting it air dry. It had gathered up a wet dog smell. I had to turned the mitt inside out.

The leather at first got really gummy and smelly and when I turned it inside out the hairs started to shed off.

All in all, I believe it was my user error of why it fell apart and my wookie died :('''

But for $30+ dollars it's not something I want to deal with again. Honestly, In my personal opinion. If I want a pet them I would buy one.

I still have the pet brush I bought from PETCO for it. :D

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

WRAPT C5Z06
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
CarPro Merino for sure! I've used the "copy" design and they're not nearly as good!

trekkeruss
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Regardless of the type (wool, microfiber, sponge, etc.) I think you should use two or three mitts. So cost may become part of the equation.

hernandez.art13
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
I am currently using 4 mitts.

Green one from AutoZone- wheels

Yellow Carrand - lower side of the car

Other Yellow Carrand - Mid side of the car

IncrediSponge - rest of the car

Side Note: I have 2 grit guards in my wheel and Tire wash bucket. I'll make a video of why I do it this way and why it makes sense to me. I'll post it when I get done with it to hear your guys's thoughts :D

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

215Detailing
03-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Regardless of the type (wool, microfiber, sponge, etc.) I think you should use two or three mitts. So cost may become part of the equation.

yes for most details I do I try using two or three wash media from bucket, usually I try to have something that is double side for more uses and one for bottom (dirtiest) areas (lower panels)

UglyBetty
03-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Car pro merino for me, I like it.

I bought a wookie, but my god, with the instructions for cleaning, brushing, and drying.........it might be easier to borrow the neighbors poodle, and claim I'm giving her a bath! Brand new wookie, available for trade!

Status
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
A few mitts and a separate bucket designated just for wheels and tires is a good pracTice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

oldmodman
03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
I have both the Wookies Fist and the Car Pro.

Both work equally well. Just be prepared to give them a lot of attention. After using mine they need extensive after care. Brushing and so on.

bwnmke67
03-08-2014, 03:14 AM
Not sure if you are married to wool mitts, or mitts in general, but the upkeep for me was not worth it. I switched to a natural sea wool sponge. Very soft when wet, holds a ton of soapy water and I haven't found any wash medium that can match its ability to release dirt. Here is a guy that used one to wash his rims and it rinsed out brake dust!

How to clean your car rims and save money, time, and effort - YouTube

bimmer325!
03-08-2014, 05:09 AM
Carpro Merino x2 here. Consistent good results with no scratching glides across surface and cleans easily by shaking in bucket. Does not "smell" after use like other wool mitts.

aim4squirrels
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
MM incredimitt. Very slick across the paint, easy to clean and care for, drops dirt off the fibers pretty easily when raked against the grit guard.