PDA

View Full Version : Detailing process

taej
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Hello all,

I will be attempting my first full detailing this Saturday with my new Griots 6! However I have a noobie question. This project will be a 2 day project. Here are two examples:

(1) Polish with M105 and M205 on the whole car on Sat, and then apply paint sealant on Sun

Or

(2) do half a car with M105 -> M205 -> Paint sealant on Sat, and do the other half on Sun.

I guess what I am ultimately asking is, when I do the car section by section, do I have to seal it right away with sealant? Or can I wait to apply the sealant after the whole car is polished?

Thanks in advance!

Taej

jamesboyy
03-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I would go with choice 2 because it gives you time to rest, and it answers your question of should you seal the car up after polishing, but don't forget to do a test spot to make sure your polishing method will work

DetailingNoob
03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, it's better to seal it as soon as possible after polishing.. because if you wait a day.. then dust/contaminants might fall onto your freshly polished paint then you have to clean that off before sealing it, whereas if you seal it right after polishing you don't have to worry about it getting dusty/dirty.

03-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Saturday - Wash, decon, clay, M105
Sunday - M205, wash or use Eraser to remove polish oils then seal

rolop6
03-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Saturday - Wash, decon, clay, M105
Sunday - M205, wash or use Eraser to remove polish oils then seal

:iagree:

M105 dusts like crazy! If you polish seal half the car you will have to wash the car about 4 times before the project is over. If this is your first time try Meguairs Ultimate Compound/polish. You will get a little more work time vs M105, 205. They also dust a lot less. Just my opinion.

03-06-2014, 11:24 PM
:iagree:

M105 dusts like crazy! If you polish seal half the car you will have to wash the car about 4 times before the project is over. If this is your first time try Meguairs Ultimate Compound/polish. You will get a little more work time vs M105, 205. They also dust a lot less. Just my opinion.

Thats why I love WG Uber & Finishing Glaze. One trick that helps reduce dusting with M105 is to add a couple of drops of Megs D300 to the pad...

SuperGlide
03-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Day one....
Wash, Clay and compound (M105) if you tape and prep right there's no need to wash. Since your compounding you really don't even have to clay.

Day Two...
Polish with M205
Seal
Done.

taej
03-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Thank you all for the reply! I will go with wash->clay->compound for the first day, and then polish->seal on the second day. Wish me luck! :xyxthumbs:

Taej

SuperGlide
03-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Day one....
Wash, Clay and compound (M105) if you tape and prep right there's no need to wash. Since your compounding you really don't even have to clay.

Day Two...
Polish with M205
Seal
Done.

Edit: *If you tape and prep right there's no need to wash
after compounding and polishing.

Take your time and Good Luck!