PDA

View Full Version : udm

Tragu
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I just got my udm yesterday and I got to use it today. Besides for a few mishaps like taking it off when it was still running and getting polish on some vinyl that still needs to be addressed I also pulled it off early cause I could see that the polish was drying I ripped a pad luckily it was an old pad that was quite beat. I need to use it more to know when to stop and wipe I also need more experience to know what polish to use but all in all it was great. It did not vibrate much it had power I was afraid at first of burning paint but quickly realized that I would not do that. It made a difference I did half my trunk and half my hood and you could see a great differance but not scratch free but much better. I have a BMW and the clear is strong. I think it is a great machine and I recomend it.:D

cruzin61
07-11-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm about to use my UDM for the first time and was wondering how you ripped a pad? That can be an expensive problem!

Tragu
07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
It was my old pad that I use to hand polish with and I have had it for 3 years it was in fair shape I then lifted it off the paint with the machine running and with the random orbits it just broke. It was a far inferior pad compared to the LC pads. It was operator error mixed with probably a dry pad. Idid not pick it up again. good luck you will love it.
Tragu

cruzin61
07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
It was my old pad that I use to hand polish with and I have had it for 3 years it was in fair shape I then lifted it off the paint with the machine running and with the random orbits it just broke. It was a far inferior pad compared to the LC pads. It was operator error mixed with probably a dry pad. Idid not pick it up again. good luck you will love it.
Tragu
Thanks for the information:cheers: , It's good I don't have to worry about damaging pads (unless I really screw-up) and can now just worry about making sure I utilize the machine to it's full potential. Like you I don't have much experience in using this machine or knowing which polish/sealant/wax is best with the UDM and my vehicles although the threads on AG help immensely. I'm looking forward to learning more. :awesome:

ScottB
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
watch larger pads around the body side moldings on the C5 .. they can catch the ends. Since antenna is built into glass (on coupes) no worries there.

blkexcoupe
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Did you have any problems with the handle not screwing in? I just got mine, and it only screws in on one side properly.

SPiN
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I have been using my UDM and just LOVEEEE it.. i dont us the handle, since its plastic i feel the vibration a lot more, i like using one hand on the bottom and one hand on the top.

blkexcoupe
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't really use the handle often, but it's nice to have it on there since I'm used to seeing it on the PC. After looking at the UDM in detail I noticed that the casing at the tip of the machine is misaligned and thats why it won't screw in. Theres Also a gap on one side where the other side is almost flush. But I still can't wait to test it out...

cruzin61
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
killerwheels: thanks for the tip; I also remember you saying you taped the glass surround on the hatch as well, correct? I may start my training on our T & C van, not so worried about a possible problem with this vehicle.

blkexcoupe: I noticed a very tight fit on mine (left side) as well. I think it was the same problem you mentioned (ie. the casing was not positioned perfectly). With a little coaxing, I was able to get mine started and then it was a snap. Have you (or anyone) been able to download any instructions yet?

blkexcoupe
07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I haven't looked up the instructions yet. I had problems putting the handle on the left side also, but instead of risking cracking something I decided to leave it off.

pawpaw
07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
blkexcoupe: I noticed a very tight fit on mine (left side) as well. I think it was the same problem you mentioned (ie. the casing was not positioned perfectly). With a little coaxing, I was able to get mine started and then it was a snap. Have you (or anyone) been able to download any instructions yet?[/quote]

this was on another thread posted by Al-53, maybe this link will work

http://autopia.org/forum/attachments/ultimate-detailing-machine/12215d1182533878-udm-1000-draft-users-guide-ultimate-detailing-machine-model-1000.pdf

Tragu
07-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Did you have any problems with the handle not screwing in? I just got mine, and it only screws in on one side properly.
I actually havent used the handle since I havent done the sides of either vehicle. I am doing it in peices I do a section then I finish it and go to bed and check it in the morning and I then think about it thruout the day and go at the next section with a modifyed plan.

Tragu
07-12-2007, 06:12 AM
I just did my wifes hood last nite and it came out great except for some stubborn scratches it is perfect. Some of the scratches are too deep but some I am not experinced enough to get yet but maybe next time. It takes time to master any form of art.:D

cruzin61
07-12-2007, 08:29 AM
blkexcoupe: I noticed a very tight fit on mine (left side) as well. I think it was the same problem you mentioned (ie. the casing was not positioned perfectly). With a little coaxing, I was able to get mine started and then it was a snap. Have you (or anyone) been able to download any instructions yet?

this was on another thread posted by Al-53, maybe this link will work

http://autopia.org/forum/attachments/ultimate-detailing-machine/12215d1182533878-udm-1000-draft-users-guide-ultimate-detailing-machine-model-1000.pdf[/quote]

Yeah, it worked great. I'm all set now. Thanks:cheers: