PDA

View Full Version : New car window surface

FRSstyle
03-06-2014, 01:13 AM
New car windows seem to repel water really well. Do new cars have some kind of window protection?

My new car is 3 weeks old and I'm going to be claying it. Should I also clay the windows? Would it remove some of the protection?

I'm putting WDGS 3.0 on the paint. Should I also do the windows with this stuff?

I've also got carpro dlux. Should I put that stuff on the windows instead of the wolfgang?

SYMAWD
03-06-2014, 01:20 AM
Does it occur on the windshield?

I know Kia offers it as an option on all glass except for the windshield, but I don't know about other manufacturers.

Not all new cars have protection. I sometimes do dealer trades for a new car dealership and they always seem to be on rainy day. The water sticks to the windshield so bad on the new cars that I always bring a bottle of wax boosting detail spray with me to make the water bead up.

FRSstyle
03-06-2014, 01:24 AM
my car has never seen the rain and i've never used the window wipers, so I'm not sure.

im just asking because almost every new car I've seen had this window beading.

this is also my first wash, clay, wax on the new car.

SYMAWD
03-06-2014, 01:31 AM
my car has never seen the rain and i've never used the window wipers, so I'm not sure.

im just asking because almost every new car I've seen had this window beading.

this is also my first wash, clay, wax on the new car.

I would still recommend sealing the glass. Keep in mind that the surface tension on glass is low enough to cause some beading on its own.

GreatAvalon
03-06-2014, 01:48 AM
I noticed it on my 2 new cars as well. The windshield beaded really nice when new. I ruined the one by putting rain-x on it and then having to use Bon Ami to strip it off because rain-x sucks IMO. But I learned my lesson and didn't put it on the next new vehicle we got a few months later and that vehicle still has nicely beading windshield and the only thing to touch it has been wash soap.

ZJ JIM 96
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
My wife's 2010 Mazda3 windshield has beaded well, since new. I had them skip all prep on delivery, and intentionally avoided doing anything to it over the years. I have no explanation for it. My 2012 Grand Cherokee, on the other hand, had zero windshield repellency and awful wipers. It got the usual RainX treatment and a fresh set of Icons, right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokite
03-06-2014, 10:08 AM
After reading about polishing glass, I assume after time, glass damage (scratches, pitting, etc from wipers, dirt, road grime hitting the windshield) will cause the surface to become more rough and water will not shed as easily.

Kappy
03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I noticed it on my 2 new cars as well. The windshield beaded really nice when new. I ruined the one by putting rain-x on it and then having to use Bon Ami to strip it off because rain-x sucks IMO. But I learned my lesson and didn't put it on the next new vehicle we got a few months later and that vehicle still has nicely beading windshield and the only thing to touch it has been wash soap.

I've read other posts where someone has said they've used Bon Ami on glass. I was going to try it but the container specifically says not for use on windows, glass or mirrors, so I've been hesitant to even test it on some small spots and risk scratching the surface. Is it safe for auto glass?

03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
New car windows seem to repel water really well. Do new cars have some kind of window protection?

My new car is 3 weeks old and I'm going to be claying it. Should I also clay the windows? Would it remove some of the protection?

I'm putting WDGS 3.0 on the paint. Should I also do the windows with this stuff?

I've also got carpro dlux. Should I put that stuff on the windows instead of the wolfgang?

Whatever you decide to do, CarPro Dlux is not made for windows.

I don't think there's any special coating on windshields from car mfg's.

Plenty of members here have applied WG DGS on their windshields and claying won't hurt. You might be surprised at how dirty the windows really are...

beamerstrumpet
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
find a cleaner for glass top stoves, soft scrub works really good, I have also used bar keepers friend on the stove and it doesn not scratch. BKF is great for a lot of stuff, mags also. I have some "window pre cleaner" to use befor treatment and Ill swear is just soft scrub.

FRSstyle
03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Whatever you decide to do, CarPro Dlux is not made for windows.

I don't think there's any special coating on windshields from car mfg's.

Plenty of members here have applied WG DGS on their windshields and claying won't hurt. You might be surprised at how dirty the windows really are...

if dlux is not good for windows, does that mean they are not good for headlights too?

03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
if dlux is not good for windows, does that mean they are not good for headlights too?

CQuartz Dlux Plastic & Rubber Coating (SKY Kit) - www.CarPro-US.com (http://www.carpro-us.com/cquartz-dlux-plastic-rubber-coating-sky-kit/)

Dlux cannot be used on glass. On plastic your good to go...are your headlights glass?