PDA

View Full Version : Should I clay before restoring headlights?

dc52nv
03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone. I recently purchased the DP headlight polishing kit and am anxious to try it out. I do have a question before I start to polish. I've seen several reviews on here on the DP kit but non mention claying the lights before they begin. Is this something that is automatic and that's why they don't mention that step? I'd like to know what you guys recommend.

wdmaccord
03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Can't hurt to try it. If you aren't seeing much coming off on the clay, then I'd ditch it and just go straight to polishing. If you are going to be sanding first, then definitely no need to clay. From your post, I am assuming you are going to start with the DP polish and a wool pad.

Nth Degree
03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Claying something as small as headlights should only take a moment so no reason not to. If you don't have any on hand then it's probably not worth going out of your way to get some. It isn't like paint where you have little room for error and any tiny marring won't be noticable in the event that something did get caught up.

rolop6
03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Waste of time for me. I usually sand first, so no reall need to clay. Polish is the last step for me so any little scratches in the headlight is polished out.

jamesboyy
03-04-2014, 07:44 PM
I would clay the headlights for OCD purposes and cause its a small easy job

HateSwirls
03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
I always make a point to clay before working on headlights , it removes a lot of crap from them, sort of gives you a head start.

dc52nv
03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll go ahead and clay them first just to be safe.