PDA

View Full Version : Can i use a nanoskin sponge like this?

brondondolon
03-03-2014, 09:33 PM
About to place an order and i want to add the nanoskin sponge. My question to you guys is do i have to use a dedicated lube or can i use it while the soap is on the car during the wash? Also i know to always go with the least aggressive approach so should i get the fine grade or the med? Id like to be use it on any car no matter the level of contamination.

Thanks guys.

hernandez.art13
03-03-2014, 09:42 PM
As far as clay I believe it can be used during a normal wash. I tried this method but didn't care to much for it. I didn't like soap and water sitting in point A on the car when I was claying point B on the car.

As for clay lube I just use Ultima Waterless wash plus. 1/2 of UWW+ makes 22 oz of waterless wash that can be used as a clay lube to. that's a lot of clay lube

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

I'd go with a fine grade. Unless the car was really contaminated and I was planning on doing a correction after.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps some

Evan.J
03-03-2014, 09:47 PM
With and clay alternative you should use a dedicated clay lubricant or something that can be diluted into one.

I have both fine and medium clay alternatives just incase I have some heavy contamination. I do however polish the paint after every time I am claying a car.

brondondolon
03-03-2014, 10:11 PM
ok. Nanoskin makes a kit that im looking at. However it comes with whats called a "speedy prep sponge" is that the same as one of the med or fine grade sponges?

woopigsooie
03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I wash and rinse the car and then use a fine grade sponge and a little diluted waterless wash as lube and do sections of the car followed with a rise. I use the medium grade sponge for more stubborn things like light tar and bugs. MUCH faster than claying. Just have to be careful, if you don't have enough lube it will put light scratches and a spotty pattern in the clear coat.

jamesboyy
03-03-2014, 10:27 PM
ok. Nanoskin makes a kit that im looking at. However it comes with whats called a "speedy prep sponge" is that the same as one of the med or fine grade sponges?

That nanoskin skin kit that comes with the speedy prep sponge yes is the same as one of the medium or fine grade sponges it just may have an aggressiveness that is in between fine, and medium as for your first question yes you can use car
wash soap or specific clay lubricate but for me I will wash/dry the the whole car then ill use the left over car wash soap to use with my clay sponge to clay bar the surface to me i fell I am not wasting as much product

brondondolon
03-03-2014, 11:04 PM
That nanoskin skin kit that comes with the speedy prep sponge yes is the same as one of the medium or fine grade sponges it just may have an aggressiveness that is in between fine, and medium as for your first question yes you can use car
wash soap or specific clay lubricate but for me I will wash/dry the the whole car then ill use the left over car wash soap to use with my clay sponge to clay bar the surface to me i fell I am not wasting as much product

Thank you for clearing that up. However i had an itch about a week back to detail my truck one morning and realized i had ran out of my normal soap. I didnt want to wait 2 weeks for some to get here so i just went to walmart and picked up some turtle wax ice soap (dont judge) lol i was doing a paint correction so i wasnt to worried about the soap. Being as its a big jug and it worked fine as far as im concerned and im gonna use it till i run out would that soap be fine for this?

I dont mind buying the lube but my cart started out at $38 then a few days later it went to $75 well things kinda escalated and now im near $250 lol Im trying to keep cost down as much as possible so if i can get away with using my car soap ill just use that otherwise whats an extra 15 dollars at this point lol

ShaunD
03-03-2014, 11:07 PM
If your not doing this to make money then stick to fine grade and a designated clay lubricant or WW/RW concentrate. It's easier to work panel by panel with a clay lube instead of car shampoo. Plus you can better see if contamination is being removed when you don't have soap suds all over the paint.

brondondolon
03-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Youre right. I didnt even think about the soap suds preventing me from seeing results. Im just gonna get the kit then. Thanks everyone for your help.

ShaunD
03-03-2014, 11:32 PM
If the kit comes with Nanoskin's Glide I would opt for something else like Detailer's universal clay lube or Ultimate WW+ concentrate which will have many more uses and you fine tune he ratio to make the lube you like best.

peter hurcos
03-04-2014, 01:30 AM
I used concentrated no-rinse wash on mine. About 8X strength, i.e. enough for a gallon put in a pint spray bottle. Worked fine.

Rsurfer
03-04-2014, 01:59 AM
If the kit comes with Nanoskin's Glide I would opt for something else like Detailer's universal clay lube or Ultimate WW+ concentrate which will have many more uses and you fine tune he ratio to make the lube you like best.

If the kit came with Glide, why would you not use it?:confused:

ShaunD
03-05-2014, 07:26 AM
I don't feel that glide offers as.much lubrication as mixing your own clay lube from a WW or a rinseless. The glide concentrate starts out as watery as onr diluted to clay lube.