PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how to remove road salt quick?

Bill1234
03-03-2014, 08:20 PM
My friend recently was able to get a jeep. I know my main issue will be road salt as this winter just never ends. Does anybody know how to get rid of road salt without marring paint. I was thinking maybe adding some apc to my foam wash?

Just02896
03-03-2014, 08:23 PM
I use CG wash clear in my foam cannon and do touchless washes during the winter to release most of the salt, sand, and winter crud. APC also works quite well in a pinch.

HD.Detailing
03-03-2014, 08:24 PM
water dissolves salt.. then good pre-soak and gently wash

I've used ONR without marring too

Bill1234
03-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Since my foam gun calls for 2 oz of soap, I will split it in to 3rds and maybe do. 4 capfuls of wash soap, 2 quick parts of apc and 2 quick parts of dawn. The car I will be doing is being driven around alot now which leads to road salt issues

Lexi65
03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Since my foam gun calls for 2 oz of soap, I will split it in to 3rds and maybe do. 4 capfuls of wash soap, 2 quick parts of apc and 2 quick parts of dawn. The car I will be doing is being driven around alot now which leads to road salt issues

Suggest that would remove the LSP. :buffing:

Bill1234
03-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Suggest that would remove the LSP. :buffing:

the friends car I am doing probably does not have lsp on it, I would want to strip it near clean, then clay and apply collinite 476s

Hammer49
03-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Very timely! I drove my new XF from Nashville to Bowling Green, KY today and got the car caked with salt and grim. Well, when I got home I couldn't stand the thought of the salt sitting on the car. So, I got a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with hot water. I then used a sauce pan to scoop out the hot water and pour it on the caked up gunk. After that, at 24 degrees, I "frozen foamed" the car with the PW and got it very clean.

I know, I'm crazy but I will also sleep much better tonight.

HD.Detailing
03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Very timely! I drove my new XF from Nashville to Bowling Green, KY today and got the car caked with salt and grim. Well, when I got home I couldn't stand the thought of the salt sitting on the car. So, I got a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with hot water. I then used a sauce pan to scoop out the hot water and pour it on the caked up gunk. After that, at 24 degrees, I "frozen foamed" the car with the PW and got it very clean.

I know, I'm crazy but I will also sleep much better tonight.

lol, nice! Now this is a true Autogeek!

Bill1234
03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
for my friends car, Im going all out with prep work. But for mine, I guess I will have to let the soap dwell to not let it strip with an acid mix