PDA

View Full Version : Foam pads..Foam differences

Pages : [1] 2

Al-53
07-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I have pads from 4 manufacturers ..LC...Meg's....Buff and Shine Edge and the foam varies between them all...some feel rubbery..some stiffer....some absorb some do not....

what are the different types of foams used...

any body know

Al

D
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
LC and Edge get their foam from the same place is what I keep hearing. I also heard most companies get the foam from the same place. Edge also has that durafoam stuff.

The Pad Man
07-10-2007, 10:17 AM
LC and Edge get their foam from the same place is what I keep hearing. I also heard most companies get the foam from the same place. Edge also has that durafoam stuff.

I can verify that this statement is not true.

D
07-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Thats what I keep hearing from Edge...

Al-53
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Well I can say the Edge foam and the LC foam is different....I do not know the types of foam they use..but the foams feel a lot different ..one is spongy and one is a bit stiffer....one absorbs more than the other also....the Buff and Shine foam feels sorta like Edges foam....Megs is different than all....

Now useing the menzerna polishes...the LC pads work the best...

There is a difference in foams...whether its the chemical make up...the finished process or a combo of both....but I see a difference in 4 brands....

Al

D
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I own Edge, LC, and Meg's. They are all different.

DanielSwe
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Good question raised. This will be interesting to read!

Jimmie
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Remember when there was talk about where the Edge orange pad fell in the line up of cut. Edge said it was probably the most aggressive because it was "European" foam (less pourous). ??????. This will be interesting to see. Also, what's holding up a standardized color code for all companies?

Al-53
07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
I believe sxissvax was the inovator of the orange type foam...and also maybe the geen foam....I think it was mercedes that wanted a foam like that for the finishing line and then got mass marketed...i may be wrong..but its what I have read...

Al

TOGWT
07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Foam Pads:
Quality foam pads used for detailing are made from specially engineered European foam, a blend of thermally reticulated polyurethane with a 99% open cell structure, created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing. This foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up, so these foam pads do not require a ventilated backing plate; the secret to successful machine polishing is using the correct type and size of foam pad, and the proper machine operating rotational and linear speed.

As for a detailing industry standard ( on foam grades; be it colours, pores per inch, etc) there are none for whatever reason.

The Pad man and I have had this conversation a year or more ago and nothing has changed

D
07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I was told that the aggressiveness of Edge pads is done by stiffness, not pours. The Edge orange pad has more pours then the green pad, but orange is more aggressive because its a lot stiffer.

The Edge
07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I was told that the aggressiveness of Edge pads is done by stiffness, not pours. The Edge orange pad has more pours then the green pad, but orange is more aggressive because its a lot stiffer.

As we are in the process of upgrading our website again please refer to the chart at the bottom of the wave page for now Dedication to Detail - The Edge Buffing Pads (http://www.edgepads.com/products/edge2000wave.htm)
It shows all the foams we have available. To say that Edge does not have the foams that either LC or any other pad MFG has would be TOTALLY UNTRUE. We have access and inventory stock of all the foams that work for buffing with the exception of the Meg's burgandy pad which they have exclusively. We do have foams in other colors called Dura-Foam that have the same qualities as that foam but not in burgandy color. We buy foams from all the major foam manufacturers that make foam which can withsand buffing and we make more pad types than many people even know or realize. To say that Edge pads are a certain type is not accurate because we make so many types. The chart which will soon be on all our foam product pages shows the types, colors, and textures we have available but what makes our prouducts special is the way we manufacture them and the shape and design of the pads and attachement systems available not to mention world class customer service.

Bob Who
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Foam bizness is very very.... Once I saw a delivery of foam pads .... And on the side of the truck it read 'Mike's Meats !!!

Adde
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
how come the orange pad isnt on that list?

The Edge
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
how come the orange pad isnt on that list?

Are you talking about the Edge list? If so it is there, you have to click on the tab for prepolymer European foams.