PDA

View Full Version : Advice for brand new car?

fotomatt1
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
My wife and I just picked up a brand new 2013 Mini Cooper S on Saturday. We went for a quick spin for a bit and put it right in the garage, as the weather in PA is awful and there's still lots of snow around. This is our third (extra) vehicle that will never see snow or salt. I know the dealer prep detailing is crap, so I want to go over it with clay and then put a good coat of wax on it. What would everyone suggest for a brand new vehicle? I vaguely remember someone suggesting Prima Epic. I already own a PC7424, but I don't think a machine is necessary for a new and very small car. Any suggestions and advice are appreciated!

Mike Phillips
03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Click the link below and follow the steps in order...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

Or just pick and choose the ones that are important to you.

Congrats on the new car!

:dblthumb2:

fotomatt1
03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Click the link below and follow the steps in order...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

Or just pick and choose the ones that are important to you.

Congrats on the new car!

:dblthumb2:
Thanks Mike!

Just curious...IronX is completely safe for brand new paint? Also, my Mini's wheels are a black finish...will it be safe for those as well?

My other question is regarding the black plastic wheel arches? how do I prevent wax from staining them white? Also, is IronX safe for plastic parts like that?

fotomatt1
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
BTW...you guys should sell a New Car Detailing Kit.

Mike Phillips
03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mike!

Just curious...IronX is completely safe for brand new paint? Also, my Mini's wheels are a black finish...will it be safe for those as well?

Yes.

My other question is regarding the black plastic wheel arches? how do I prevent wax from staining them white?

Two options....

1. Tape them off with painter's masking tape.

2. Slow down, don't get polish or wax on them in the first place.

I'd go with option 1.

Also, is IronX safe for plastic parts like that?

Here's the AG webpage for Iron X

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html)

Here's the only warning I see on the page,

Note: Iron X should not be used on bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface.

There's no way to spray ANY product on a car's wheels and NOT get the product onto the calipers. It's probably safe to say that it's going to be all but impossible to somehow tape-off and cover up a set of brake calipers without removing the wheels.

So I'm not sure what to say about how to use Iron X and comply with the note above.

:)

Coopers ST
03-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I have never used Iron X, but see that lots of people do. I see it is used on wheels all the time. How do people spray it onto wheels and keep it off the brake parts and wheel weights?