PDA

View Full Version : Plan for the Spring Correction

Centexhokie
03-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Next weekend here in Central Texas is supposed to be nice and I have time to finally do the full correction and coating of my car. I like to have everything in order, so I put together a list. The car is a 2013 MB SL550 which unfortunately was at the dealer for 255 days so it has light swirls. The wheels and Glass have been polished and coated with their respective PBL coatings, so they are good to go with just cleaning.

Please let me know if you see any holes in my plan. Thanks.

Wash - 2 Buckets, Grit Guards, CG Premium Wash mitt, Gilmour Foammaster II Sprayer CG Honeydew, Water
Clean Wheels - Daytona Brush, water
De-contaminate - Sponge, Sprayer - Carpro Iron-X, water
Clay - if necessary? - GG Clay, Spray Bottle ONRWW as QD
Masking - 3M Tape, Beach Towel, Wheel Maskers, Remove Trim?
Test Spot - GG 6", White LC Pad Menzerna 1500
Correction - GG 6", Pad and polish dependent on Test Spot
Final Polish - GG 6", LC Gold Pad and Menzerna 4500
Surface Prep - Microfiber Applicator PBL Surface Cleansing Polish
Coating - LC Applicator PBL Paint Coating

24 Hour Wait
Sealant -Foam Applicator PBL Sealant

Feed back please

Desertnate
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
The only issue I see is the clay. It shouldn't be optional in this case. If the car sat on a lot that long and you've driven it all winter, you will need to clay. Whenever you're going to correct, you'll need to clay to ensure the surface is free of contamination before correcting...or sealing for that matter. You don't want to pollish the crud into your paint, or seal it in under the sealant/coating.

Zelfiris
03-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Hey Centexhokie,

A couple of questions for you

1. Was the car exposed to winter? (not sure if Texas even has winters) Do the baggy test to see if you need to clay and if there are tar, you may need tar remover
2. How is the brake dust on MB? Thought about having a third bucket just for the wheels?
3. For correction, do you have a smaller backing plate /w small pads to reach the tighter areas?
4. Do you have sufficient lighting to see the swirls? what colour is the car?

I think you got a solid plan :) show us some photos when you're done!

Centexhokie
03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
The only issue I see is the clay. It shouldn't be optional in this case. If the car sat on a lot that long and you've driven it all winter, you will need to clay. Whenever you're going to correct, you'll need to clay to ensure the surface is free of contamination before correcting...or sealing for that matter. You don't want to pollish the crud into your paint, or seal it in under the sealant/coating.

I have clayed the car a couple of times since it sat out. I have not iron-x'd it. That is the only reason for the ? on claying after the Iron-X. I will probably do it as it doesn't take that long on this car.

Hey Centexhokie,

A couple of questions for you

1. Was the car exposed to winter? (not sure if Texas even has winters) Do the baggy test to see if you need to clay and if there are tar, you may need tar remover
2. How is the brake dust on MB? Thought about having a third bucket just for the wheels?
3. For correction, do you have a smaller backing plate /w small pads to reach the tighter areas?
4. Do you have sufficient lighting to see the swirls? what colour is the car?

I think you got a solid plan :) show us some photos when you're done!

The car was not exposed to what the rest of the country calls winter. No tar evident on the car.
The brake dust used to be terrible, but I switched the pads to RacingBrake ET500 pads and all it requires with the coating is to spray with water, hit with brush and spray off with water.
I do have smaller backing plates and even a 3" backing plate for a PC that I have.
I just put two (2) 55 W LED floodlights in the garage and I have an LED Pole light so lighting shouldn't be an issue. The car is Mars Red

I will put up photos as well as the time for each step.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/30099/Garage_with_car.jpg

mdgrwl
03-03-2014, 10:00 AM
If you dont have the Menzerna polish yet, I would suggest FG400 & SF4000 instead of your choices. Otherwise looks good.

Centexhokie
03-03-2014, 10:11 AM
If you dont have the Menzerna polish yet, I would suggest FG400 & SF4000 instead of your choices. Otherwise looks good.

I already have Menzerna 1500, 2500, and 4500. Fortunately the swirls while prolific are not deep. I do have some orange pads of various sizes (6", 5.5", and 4") and some Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover as well as easy access to Meguiar's if I run into a bind.

c8n
03-03-2014, 10:19 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/30099/Garage_with_car.jpg

I am not sure which I am more jealous of... the car or the garage.

KenR
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Thorough plan, great garage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Zelfiris
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM

+1 LOL I feel the same. Would definitely love to have a garage in that size

Centexhokie
03-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks. My wife and I are blessed to have a good business and great employees which allow me to have the car I want to drive and the garage has been a work in progress. Here is a picture of the light in the garage at night.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/album.php?albumid=686&pictureid=4111

Thorough plan, great garage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Thanks.