PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: I'm in...!

Pages : [1] 2

Gokite
03-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Well I took the plunge and got some stuff. First order, and I ordered it here at autogeek.net. Here's what I got, hope I did good for doing weekend warrior stuff for the family rides. Our cars are actually all new (purchased in last year except one), so I got just a polish figuring the paint will be pretty good to begin with:

Menzerna Super Finish (SF-4000) PO 106 FA 16 oz.
Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher
Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"
3 Pack -Orange Light Cutting CCS Smart Pads™ DA 5.5 inch Foam Pads
3 Pack - Gray Finishing CCS Smart Pads™ DA 5.5 inch Foam Pads
3 Pack -Red UltraSoft CCS Smart Pads™ DA 5.5 inch Foam Pads
CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 1 Liter
BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner

I hope the GG 6in is good, and the choices for the pads are correct. Anyway, I am blown away by the amount of info on this site. Time to start studying up on technique...thanks everyone for your participation here. Lots to learn!

swanicyouth
03-03-2014, 09:22 AM
OMG you got ALL the wrong stuff !!!

j/k. That looks like a good list. All you may need is a more aggressive polish/compound at some point.

Mike Phillips
03-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Looks like you're set to go...

Just remember to do a little testing on each car before buffing them all the way out. I've been detailing cars and teaching others to detail cars all my life now and I always do a test spot on every car I buff out.

:dblthumb2:

Gokite
03-03-2014, 09:47 AM
swanic, damn you. At first I read that and my head exploded!

Mike, thanks and don't worry I plan to do exactly that. I watched a bunch of vids already. Seems most people have the same technique except for the "5-dots on the pad" vs "thin bead a few inches long" initiall application. But I think the thin bead is a rotary tool application where I don't have that tool and will use the multiple dots on the pad.

I'm looking forward to getting started. Now if the weather in Chicago will finally break!

tuscarora dave
03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
OMG you got ALL the wrong stuff !!!

:nomore: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

swanic, damn you. At first I read that and my head exploded!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm looking forward to getting started. Now if the weather in Chicago will finally break!
Welcome to AGO

Looks like you have a good starting point worked out.

Gokite
03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Thx, I hope the Griot is not too crazy of a machine. I was gonna get the portercable but the Griot was only $20 more for a 7amp vs 4amp motor so I opted for the more robust wiring for longevity.

swanicyouth
03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
The Griots is a very good and versatile machine. You can use it with pads 3-6.5". Try that on a 3401 or Rupes.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/tu2e5uju.jpg

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
First of many orders my friend...lol

jamesboyy
03-03-2014, 11:34 AM
The purchase list looks good but trust us this ordering car detailing products craving is not over, and wont be for century's

PreludeVTEC01
03-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Looks like your ready to go!! Like SickTRed08FSI said... there will be many more to come! :)

Gokite
03-03-2014, 01:11 PM
uh oh...what have I gotten myself into...? ;)

Yea, I still gotta get some 303 Aerospace and looking at a tornador attachment for the air compressor...are those worth it? It's $130...seems like a lot just to get dense foam from your soap.

fly07sti
03-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Welcome. From reading your initial post, you say you're most likely going to polish. My only recommendation is that you grab a few White pads to go along with the others.

GreatAvalon
03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Pass on the 303 IMO. I don't like that stuff on cars. Doesn't last long, blotchy/uneven, streaky, and I'll even go as far to say it causes/aids fading!!! I've had this in my garage for years as I use it on my boat, and I've done so many experiments with it. It never touches my vehicles anymore.

I thought everything I read about Menz products say to get the flat pads instead of the CCS so new polish doesnt get introducted mid-work cycle?

Gokite
03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
fly07, the gray aren't enough? why do you think I need the white?

Pass on the 303 IMO. I don't like that stuff on cars. Doesn't last long, blotchy/uneven, streaky, and I'll even go as far to say it causes/aids fading!!!

I did use it in the past, a couple cars ago. I found it to be very good. I'll do a bit more research.

I thought everything I read about Menz products say to get the flat pads instead of the CCS so new polish doesnt get introducted mid-work cycle?

What I saw watching videos and reading endlessly was...dab it on, lightly make a couple passes to spread it, then start polishing with a firm amount of pressure and as the polish is worked toward the end of life cycle, pressure should be released gradually. So I would think if that was the case, "new" polish wouldn't get introduced because the pressure is lighter than earlier in the polishing process. Do I have that right?

BobbyG
03-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Do you realize what you've done! :eek:

It's like trying to eat just 1 potato chip, or buying just 1 polisher.....:laughing:

Don't give then your 401K account number otherwise you'll discover you'll need to work longer to retire....:laughing:

Nice order by the way!