PDA

View Full Version : Buying LC 5.5" CCS 6 Pack...which combination to get?

Eric
03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I picked up the Harbor Freight DA polisher (great item for the money, FYI) for Christmas and decided to pick up some LC pads. Seems that the 5.5" CCS pads have a good rep and the 6 pack is a good deal. I'm just curious which ones I should select.

Looking for some ideas before I proceed.

Thanks!

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
At the least

Yellow for heavy cutting

Orange for medium compounding

White for finishing polish

Black for applying wax/sealant

Eric
03-02-2014, 10:13 PM
At the least

Yellow for heavy cutting

Orange for medium compounding

White for finishing polish

Black for applying wax/sealant

Sounds good. Since this will mostly be for personal use (with the occasional side job) I don't think I'd need to double up on the orange. Maybe double up on the white and black?

03-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Sounds good. Since this will mostly be for personal use (with the occasional side job) I don't think I'd need to double up on the orange. Maybe double up on the white and black?

Depending on occasional side job, you may need a cutting pad..

CarolinasFinestDetailing
03-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I'd double up on orange and white. Just my $.02. I like to have at least 2 pads per session. Get a pad cleaning brush too. Its a necessity.

03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Pad cleaner too...by the way Eric, we're not responsible for the obsession you are about to embark upon lol :xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
03-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I bought 2 orange, 2 white and two black pad combo.
It's the ones I use most of the time.
I love the orange ones, really cut well.

Eric
03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'm going to double up on orange and white and then one blue and one black. I also have a Harbor Freight close by and their 6" pads have a reasonably good reputation here, so I figure I could always pick up their blue or black pads and use the higher quality LC pads for the polishing and compounding.

Get a pad cleaning brush too. Its a necessity.

Already done. :)

Pad cleaner too...by the way Eric, we're not responsible for the obsession you are about to embark upon lol :xyxthumbs:

I've seen people suggesting diluted APC (10:1 IIRC) for that. Would a dedicated pad cleaner really be needed?

Oh, and the obsession has long been in full swing for a long time...haha. This is just my first foray into doing my own machine polishing. :dblthumb2:

Theostoubos
03-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I found out that cutting pads will start failing a bit more quick than softer pads. So depending on what your usage might be I would consider getting 2 cutting/light cutting pads 1 polishing pad, 1 finishing pad and 2 of the softest pads for wax or sealant application

So that would be

1 yellow
1 orange

1 green
1 blue

2 red.

Just my suggestion

03-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'm going to double up on orange and white and then one blue and one black. I also have a Harbor Freight close by and their 6" pads have a reasonably good reputation here, so I figure I could always pick up their blue or black pads and use the higher quality LC pads for the polishing and compounding.

Already done. :)

I've seen people suggesting diluted APC (10:1 IIRC) for that. Would a dedicated pad cleaner really be needed?

Oh, and the obsession has long been in full swing for a long time...haha. This is just my first foray into doing my own machine polishing. :dblthumb2:

What I use to do was take a bucket of water and throw some snappy pad cleaner into the bucket and throw the pads in when it was time to clean. It works that way but I've since changed to Wolfgang Pad cleaner, I got it on sale for $20 a gallon.

Is it necessary? Personal preference really. When doing paint correction, I'm probably using about 12-15 pads so for me, yes it's worth. The ideal way is to have a pad washer!

irsankao
03-04-2014, 06:30 AM
5.5" low profiles and flat pads are best with DA, full surface contacts means more correction in relatively weaker machine compare to rotary.

This is from the Mike's post about flat pad and low profile pad.

I would choose either 5.5" low profile flat pads or 5.5" low profile hydro pads, hydro pads are less confusing only 3 to choose. Hydro is great for waterbase products but on the downside it's harder to clean them.

If the cyan pad or the yellow pad don't cut it, you can also choose more aggresive pad either thin wool pad or microfiber cutting pad.