PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning MF Towels

Reddwarf
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
What’s the best way to clean MF towels? Are all MF towels created equally? I bought a bundle from Sam’s Club but after washing them in the clothes washer they seem to have some lint. Also, some are stained from the either the cleaning chemicals or more likely the grime they removed. If it is stained should I toss it or continue to use it?

abrcrombe
06-06-2006, 10:10 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/pin620.html

They say not to use detergent or heat when washing and drying because it takes the charge away from the microfibers. I would wash with the rejuvenator and then hang dry, but that is just me. All MF towels are not created equally.

Neothin
06-06-2006, 10:41 PM
ummm no heat? I boil mine every so often to completely remove all the built up products in them, no harm at all. In addition, I dry in the dryer (90% dry, and then hang on a line to dry the rest of the way, saves me from dealing with staticy towels). Heat isn't going to hurt them.

as for detergent, anything without softeners and/or bleach works fine. The microfiber specific detergents do work a tad better than your run of the mill Gain, All, etc etc

abrcrombe
06-06-2006, 10:57 PM
hmm.. I wonder where I read the whole.. no heat thing then. Haha

EDIT:
Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.

taken from... http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html

Neothin
06-06-2006, 11:00 PM
blah! I haven't had any issues with what I do.

abrcrombe
06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I've dried my cheapos in a dryer without any problems. I don't know what I will do with my new shipment coming in! SOOO excited!

Surfer
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I have a thread on here somewhere if you search about cleaning micro's that people gave good ideas on. I use Tide Liquid Free. It works very well, just have to use only a little, stuff likes to foam/bubble like crazy and sometimes even after the rinse and everything, the towels still have some of the tide bubbles comming out if you squeeze/wring them. I'll either give them another wash or quckly massage in some warm clean water and stick in the dryer with low heat on delicates.

JeffW
06-07-2006, 06:38 AM
My normal practice is to soak in a mixture of diluted MF cleaner depending on how much 'build up' is on them- if lots of build up, then I soak in a separate 5 gallon bucket for 1 or 2+ hours, then wash. If less build up, I let them soak in the washing machine for ~30 to 45 minutes before continuing the washing cycles.

I only use the Pinnacle and Micro-Restore cleaners, on cold/cold and dry on low heat. These cleaners, when purchased in quantity, are very reasonably priced and do make a difference, IMO. Static in the towels don't bother me too much.

BILL
06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Regular tide powder, Wash all by hand, no other rags etc in the same mix, rinse very, very, well, air dry..... have same towels over a year......

ScottB
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Pinnacles and Microrestore cleaners are extremely concentrated and a little goes a long way. Also works well at releasing oils, and polishes caught in the fibers. If you choose a detergent versus specific cleaner, then add a cup of distilled vinegar to help release these agents.

BILL
06-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Pinnacles and Microrestore cleaners are extremely concentrated and a little goes a long way. Also works well at releasing oils, and polishes caught in the fibers. If you choose a detergent versus specific cleaner, then add a cup of distilled vinegar to help release these agents.

Same as white vinegar???:confused:

ScottB
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Same as white vinegar???:confused:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0004MV9XQ.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BILL
06-07-2006, 08:15 PM
:) Thanks