PDA

View Full Version : My first post

aria
07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I just joined this forum, found it yesterday, just ordered a new udm from ag. I got a kit with some pads and ohter things. I've been just waxing my cars for the last 50 years and though it is time to get into the machine thing. I have too mustangs that the paint is like new, so I guess just a good wax will do on them. Then I have an older truck and car that could use more work. I read about the claying and the swirler remover stuff and then the last thing is to wax. Where does the glase part come into the the picture. Or is this not necessary? Do you always glase before the wax. Thanks.

Thejoyofdriving
07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
you dont need to glaze, a glaze is a product that covers up swirls. It is an alternative to polishing. does this help? any more questions?

WASH------ ---WASH
CLAY -----------CLAY
CLEAN --OR --CLEAN
POLISH -------GLAZE
WAX ------------WAX

aria
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Sounds good. Thank you.

ScottB
07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
actually you can still use a glaze after polishing (abrasive), just remember a wax is typically used over the glaze since all glazes offer is some light fillers, lots or wetness and NO protection. Synthetic waxes dont like glazes much !

Reddwarf
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard Aria. This is a great place to learn. There are a lot of pros that are happy to share their vast knowledge and you won't find a better place to buy your supplies. Just be warned, this can easily develop into an addiction!

I case you have not seen this, here is a great place to begin learning (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html).

aria
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info, Ok so I can use polish or glase, I won't be using the Synthetic waxes, I have some xmt carnauba coming from ag. Will give that a try.

aria
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks Reddwarf, I did read that on their site, just was confused with the glase part.

aria
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Also with the two stangs I think just waxing will do, they are smooth as glass.

aria
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
My wife just told me I can't use the udm on the stangs. So much for that! and it just got shipped today.

Reddwarf
07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
My wife just told me I can't use the udm on the stangs. So much for that! and it just got shipped today.

Once you make the older truck look awesome with the UDM and XMT she will change her tune.

aria
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
yes , for sure, I think I will do them when she is not going to be home.

ltoman
07-10-2007, 12:32 AM
yes , for sure, I think I will do them when she is not going to be home.

Naughty boy! I guess as long as that is all you are doing, she can't get too mad! ~ lol ~ sorry, I am bad!

Yes, glaze before wax. Nuba = sweeet!

I did come here to welcome you though, Aria! No worries - you will get the hang of it in no time, and impress your wife!!!
LT