PDA

View Full Version : I can't remove holograms

Pages : [1] 2

1vh1
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I spent 5 hours today polishing my car. I got rid of all the swirls, it looks great on that front, but in the wrong light it has the same ugly holograms all over. I used new Lake Country pads and microfiber just to combat this.

I did this:

Wash with Chem Guys citrus wash.
Wipe down with IPA
Clay with megs kit
Polish with WG twins on a orange and white pad
Wash again with ONR
Top with CG blacklight.

I really hope someone can help me out. It is frustrating doing this for 5 hours only to have holograms all over.

HD.Detailing
02-28-2014, 10:25 PM
:postpics:

I feel you bro, but pics will help

??Why IPA after wash?

custmsprty
02-28-2014, 10:30 PM
And what machine and at what speed?

1vh1
02-28-2014, 10:33 PM
:postpics:

I feel you bro, but pics will help

??Why IPA after wash?

I took some, but the holograms are hard to see in the picture, it is just a big sun spot BECAUSE of the hologram there. I used the ipa after the wash to get rid of any old wax.

I'm using a porter cable on 5.

Nth Degree
02-28-2014, 10:53 PM
It is not uncommon for the oils in a product take time to flash off completely. The result is what appears as holograms. Try wiping in one direction, observe the direction of the holograms, then wipe at 90 degrees to that. If the direction of the holograms changes this is what is happening. Sometimes just waiting a few hours solves the problem. A QD or ONR wash should help as well.

02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
How many section passes are you making? How often are you cleaning your pads? WG Finishing Glaze with white pad = gloss...

custmsprty
02-28-2014, 11:07 PM
I took some, but the holograms are hard to see in the picture, it is just a big sun spot BECAUSE of the hologram there. I used the ipa after the wash to get rid of any old wax.

I'm using a porter cable on 5.

As Mike P stated in one of his post, any polishing will always remove old wax and sealants.

Andr3wilson
02-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm guessing you are seeing residue and not actual holograms. Gently in small spaces, wipe down with QD

mdgrwl
02-28-2014, 11:30 PM
prolly the oils left over from polish & whatever the heck is in Blacklight...

custmsprty
02-28-2014, 11:33 PM
prolly the oils left over from polish & whatever the heck is in Blacklight...

I've never seen Blacklight leave anything behind but an ultra shiny smooth surface.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg.html)

goldenlight
02-28-2014, 11:46 PM
not familiar with this product WG twins or wolfgang products

I look into using Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer Or Wolfgang Swirlx

Nth Degree
03-01-2014, 01:06 AM
I've never seen Blacklight leave anything behind but an ultra shiny smooth surface.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg.html)

Could be left from the polish or in the towels.

1vh1
03-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I went out this morning and the holograms weren't as bad. I did a QD wipe down and all of the holograms would move in the direction of the towel.

VP Mark
03-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Sounds like your towels or product isn't drying properly. Use some IPA and check your work. If holograms persist after IPA your towels are probably marring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

cardaddy
03-01-2014, 01:25 PM
I went out this morning and the holograms weren't as bad. I did a QD wipe down and all of the holograms would move in the direction of the towel.

Sounds like your towels or product isn't drying properly. Use some IPA and check your work. If holograms persist after IPA your towels are probably marring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

YUP! :iagree:

Remember when applying your LSP that THIN is IN. Really really REALLY thin. Could just be too much LSP. Might want to do that Eraser wipe down or IPA then start over. Shouldn't need to re-polish everything, just carefully wipe it all down then put a TINY amount of Powerlock on, let it sit for a bit, then remove it. Both flip, and change your towel often.