PDA

View Full Version : extension cord is a bit...stiff

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I recently purchased a 12/3 100ft extension cord. Out of the box, it was great, worked well and preformed flawlessly. Now, my main problem is that it kinks and becomes stiff quickly. Are there any ideas how I can make it easier to coil and work with?

master detailer
02-28-2014, 05:31 PM
put it in the sun it will get better.Also dont roll it up small use big loops

jamesboyy
02-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Get an extension cord reel from lowes or home depot to wind the extension cord onto

FUNX650
02-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Oh how I remember those days.

Bob

aim4squirrels
02-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh how I remember those days.

Bob

Lulz

hernandez.art13
02-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Just do as others suggested op

Side Note:

Ahh.. I wanted to get older, but now that I am getting older I don't want to anymore. 3 more years and I'll be 30....:cry::dunno::hotrod2:

Well going to go get my lady :hungry:

Dinner and Movies is always good :props:

FUNX650
02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Just do as others suggested op

Side Note:

Ahh.. I wanted to get older, but now that I am getting older I don't want to anymore. 3 more years and I'll be 30....:cry::dunno::hotrod2:
Art...
Remember that not too long ago we were talking about the main character in
"A Clockwork Orange".

I believe He told his minions: "do not trust anyone over 30".
But then, as my Grandpa used to say:
"the chickens came home to roost".

Note:
Don't forget that I get a year older on the same day you do. ;)

Bob

spiralout462
02-28-2014, 09:53 PM
About 15 years ago I was winding a cord up around my arm when a tradesman saw me and freaked out! I haven't wrapped a cord around my arm since! I have also learned that an extension cord over 50ft is absolutely useless, In fact I perfer them even shorter than that.

May I ask how heavy that 12 gauge 100ft. cord is?

Bill1234
02-28-2014, 10:04 PM
About 15 years ago I was winding a cord up around my arm when a tradesman saw me and freaked out! I haven't wrapped a cord around my arm since! I have also learned that an extension cord over 50ft is absolutely useless, In fact I perfer them even shorter than that.

May I ask how heavy that 12 gauge 100ft. cord is?

according to true value, it is just under 8lbs

Shtexas
02-28-2014, 11:01 PM
I have a 12 gauge 100ft utilitech contractor grade extension cord that weighs 13lbs, it wasn't cheap but it will last a long time. It's pure copper wire so I always make sure to wrap it following the cords natural twist. I think the stiffness has a lot to do with the material the jacket is made from and if the wire is solid copper or twisted.

Brace1
03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I have a 12 gauge 100ft utilitech contractor grade extension cord that weighs 13lbs, it wasn't cheap but it will last a long time. It's pure copper wire so I always make sure to wrap it following the cords natural twist. I think the stiffness has a lot to do with the material the jacket is made from and if the wire is solid copper or twisted.

I was eyeing the same one on Craigslist for a while (new in box at a pawn shop) as they dropped the price about every week or so but I missed the opportunity once it finally hit my price point I went there and it was sold. I have other extension cords so it wouldn't have been a prudent purchase for me anyway.

Bill1234
03-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I was eyeing the same one on Craigslist for a while (new in box at a pawn shop) as they dropped the price about every week or so but I missed the opportunity once it finally hit my price point I went there and it was sold. I have other extension cords so it wouldn't have been a prudent purchase for me anyway.

im glad I asked for mine as a gift. It provides alot of "power" for big motors and will not break in cold temperatures, Cons I would say are weight and trying to wind up the cord

JAF06SE
03-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Grab a buddy of hook an end on something. Stretch it all the way out or do it in a couple of times. Pull it fairly tight. Stretch the kinks and curls out of it. We do that everytime we get new cords at work. It makes winding them up much easier and quicker.

VP Mark
03-01-2014, 06:48 PM
When coiling it up Dont curl it around your arm or such. Make loops like a cowboy would coiling up a rope.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

wdmaccord
03-01-2014, 09:00 PM
When coiling it up Dont curl it around your arm or such. Make loops like a cowboy would coiling up a rope.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

^^This. That's how I was taught...spread your arms all the way out and them bring them together. The loops end up being about 3 feet long when hanging in an oval shape.