PDA

View Full Version : Pinstriping: Are there end-caps?

Crist Clapper
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Are there pre-cut ends for the ends of a two-pin pinstripe?

Flash Gordon
02-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Are there pre-cut ends for the ends of a two-pin pinstripe?

You cut as you go with most pinstriping kits

Nicklyons
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
I use 3M and there is nothing pre-cut to it. I actually use more than needed so it helps. (I use headlights and tail lights to set up lines and hold tape, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyJack
03-02-2014, 10:11 AM
I've been in the new car biz for over 30 years, so I've commissioned thousands and thousands of stripe jobs. Terminating the ends is a striper's "signature". Some just square cut the open ends, some overlap and taper the front, some close the back end with perpendicular or angled piece. My favorite was a guy who used an X-Acto knife with a very narrow blade that looked like an aluminum retractable pen. He'd taper and close the front, leave the back open, but cut nice rounded edges on all ends, very similar to a hand-painted stripe. That's the look I followed for all my own work.

Bill

MPBGT
03-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Years ago I had purchased some auto parts store stripe kits that had some pre formed points that would probably go towards the front. The problem is that they were an add on, they were only an inch or two long, they looked unprofessional and tacked on.
Then there are stripe kits like the one I had for my 1979 Chrysler 300 that were kind of wide and had formed ends. It was more of a decal kit than pinstripes.

Like others said it's the pinstripes signature how you terminate the ends.