PDA

View Full Version : Install molding before or after Opti-coat 2.0?

ga84gw
02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Since Opti-Coat 2.0 is a coating and is supposed to bond with the paint, can I apply the Opti-Coat and then "later" apply moldings and decals on top? Will the moldings/decals stick on the coating just like on the paint(clear coat) or should I be concerned about them coming loose?

Harry Da Hamster
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Optimum states that nothing will stick to Opti Coat.

Marc Hufnagel
02-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Optimum states that nothing will stick to Opti Coat.

I put the 'ecoboost' emblems back on my truck after oc pro treatment - they won't move. They are on there very well with 3m tape.

Maybe a bit of a broad statement by opt perhaps.

MRRNY
02-28-2014, 09:28 AM
I put the 'ecoboost' emblems back on my truck after oc pro treatment - they won't move.

Meaning they are stuck on quite well, or meaning that they will now never be removable because the OC bonded with them as well?

Marc Hufnagel
02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Meaning they are stuck on quite well, or meaning that they will now never be removable because the OC bonded with them as well?

oh sorry, stuck well due to the 3m. The oc was about a month old.

MRRNY
02-28-2014, 01:38 PM
oh sorry, stuck well due to the 3m. The oc was about a month old.

Hmm. Maybe I'll debadge before I mess with all that this spring.

Marc Hufnagel
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
I was going to leave it off but changed mind.

RaskyR1
02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Per Dr.G when I asked about PPF and matte stripes on a clients new Mustang.

Hi Chad

Thank you for your email. I really enjoy your thorough posts on the forums. As you mentioned opti coat has a minor darkening effect on Matt finishes and it will protect them from damage. However as you said you do not want to apply opti coat before putting on stripes since the adhesive will not bond. On the other hand applying opti coat before clear bra will protect the paint without affecting bonding. Let me know how it goes and please share it on line too. Thanks and have a great weekend.

David

ga84gw
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I will play it safe and wait for the molding to be installed first.