PDA

View Full Version : Blue css lc pads

BlackRam
02-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Can you use these with say wg swirl remover 3.0? It says the pads do not have any cut but obviously the product does. I know you can vary say the orange pads with different levels of product, but not sure on the blue pads.

Thank you

Dan_335i
02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Can you use these with say wg swirl remover 3.0? It says the pads do not have any cut but obviously the product does. I know you can vary say the orange pads with different levels of product, but not sure on the blue pads.

Thank you
wondering the same thing.

No cut pad + abrasive polish=????
cut pad + non abrasive polish=????

FUNX650
02-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Thank you
Of course. Results may vary from your expectations.

wondering the same thing.

No cut pad + abrasive polish=????
cut pad + non abrasive polish=????
Equals having to do a "Test Spot"...IMO.

Bob

GreatAvalon
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
+1 on the test spot. I've wondered the same thing, and I think both the foam pad and the product can cut.

So is it...

foam w/ no cut with product w/ cut = some cut.
Foam w/ cut with product w/ no cut = some cut.
Foam w/ cut with product w/ cut = more cut.

wdmaccord
02-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Yep, that's the beauty of all the combos out there...you can vary your cut by BOTH the pad and product.

BlackRam
02-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Good to know u can get cut even from a non cutting pad with the right product. Thank u

aim4squirrels
02-26-2014, 10:04 PM
TSR is on the aggressive to mid range scale of the Wolfgang product line. Please note, that doesn't mean it doesn't finish well. Read on to see where I'm going with this:

From most to least:
Uber compound
TSR
Finishing glaze

As a general rule, I tend to keep the aggressiveness of the product matched near the pad aggressiveness:

Wool pad, CCS yellow, orange, pink - uber compound

CCS pink, white, green - TSR

CCS gray, blue, red, gold - finishing glaze

Of course these are basic generalizations, and you can mix and match as you see fit to make more or less cut. But in my experience I find that if I stray too far from these generalizations, I am usually wasting either product by using it in a manner in which it is not best suited, or I am wasting time by not getting the amount of cut for the work I'm putting into it.

wdmaccord
02-26-2014, 10:13 PM
TSR is on the aggressive to mid range scale of the Wolfgang product line. Please note, that doesn't mean it doesn't finish well. Read on to see where I'm going with this:

From most to least:
Uber compound
TSR
Finishing glaze

As a general rule, I tend to keep the aggressiveness of the product matched near the pad aggressiveness:

Wool pad, CCS yellow, orange, pink - uber compound

CCS pink, white, green - TSR

CCS gray, blue, red, gold - finishing glaze

Of course these are basic generalizations, and you can mix and match as you see fit to make more or less cut. But in my experience I find that if I stray too far from these generalizations, I am usually wasting either product by using it in a manner in which it is not best suited, or I am wasting time by not getting the amount of cut for the work I'm putting into it.

I'm guessing SMAT products would be better for moving around same product on different pads vs. DAT. Can anyone comment on that? Just thinking out loud it would seem the dimishing abrasive products are probably designed to break down "best" using a certain firmness in the pad it is designed for.??

FUNX650
02-26-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm guessing SMAT products would be better for moving around same product on different pads vs. DAT. Can anyone comment on that? Just thinking out loud it would seem the dimishing abrasive products are probably designed to break down "best" using a certain firmness in the pad it is designed for.??
Good Points!

SMAT-sized abrasives, according to Meguiar's-speak, don't necessarily break down "further" (as would be necessary with DAT---more Meguiar's-speak) in order to perform their formulated-functions.
That, to me, is enough inference to conclude that they are more suited to:
Pads/products-musical chairs.

-Heat, and machine speed, also play big roles in helping to break down DAT.

Bob

aim4squirrels
02-26-2014, 10:56 PM

Quite possibly.

But then again, consider that SMAT is a "rock" of a specific size that doesn't break down, and in that instance, it might only finish down to a certain level of clarity or smoothness in a purely thought-logic exercise. The pad itself might cut more or less aggressively than that particular sized "rock" depending on what you choose. If the pad itself cuts more, there might be something to gain by going to a softer pad in the looks department as the pad could be undoing the polish's finishing ability, but if the pad is softer the polish would probably dictate the overall final look. Too soft and you might never get that "perfect" look that particular cut of polish is capable of as the "rocks" might sink into the foam and transfer it's cutting power into the foam and abrade the paint in an uneven manner. Hard to know exactly what's happening at the microscopic level with layman equipment, which is why the best course really is a test spot and giving it the old eyeball test.

Now in reality, there's just so much the eye can truly detect in paint surface imperfection on the micro level. Which is probably why folks state a compound like Meg's ultimate compound or Wolfgang uber compound can leave an LSP ready finish, while others chase a finer prize by polishing further with the Meg's ultimate polish, Wolfgang finishing glaze or something like Menzerna SF4500. Whether you've truly enhanced it or not by going to a second or even third polishing step, only you can truly be the judge.