PDA

View Full Version : Washing Your Car Before it Rains?

Pages : [1] 2 3

hernandez.art13
02-26-2014, 10:51 AM
I have a question everyone. I haven't washed my car since Friday of almost 2 weeks ago, so going on 11 days.

Well was going to wash it today to clean it up, but we have heavy rain starting tomorrow.

I've been told to wash it before it rains so that's what i've normally done. Since I live in SoCal and it normally just rains for half a day (give or take) and a lot of times it's just light rain which creates mud on the car.

So my question is, with this heavy rain coming should I go wash my car before it rains or wait until after? Or do as I normally do?

I Normally wash it before it rains then wash it after after it rains :)

^ Forecast

GenesisCoupe
02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
What i would do for 54 degrees right now...Chicago sucks!!!!!

I wouldn't wash it, let all that rain pass and then give it a nice gentle wash lol

KMG
02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah it just seems like your wasting you time to clean it all up only to have it rain on it the next day. Wait till it is nicer out.

Yeah I would kill for some warm weather also, it is snowing here and cold again. This winter has sucked!

FUNX650
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Art...

Before, during, or after the rain pitter-patters:
For some OCD-folks..It really does not matter!

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLmFFz9CIQ"]Guy washing his car in the rain. - YouTube[/video]

Follow your heart, Art!!

Bob

jamesboyy
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Well it may seem a waste but I would do a wash before the rain
The reason is cause the rain will turn that surface dirt into a bigger mess, and if it's outside while it rain's you may have an OCD attack/heart attack from hearing, and seeing those rain droplets rub that dirt into your paint potentially causing some sort of defects....but that's just my OCD though

Vegas Transplant
02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
With SoCal having had so little rain this rainy season I would wash and quick wax with OCW before the rain comes to offset the acidity from driving grime laden SoCal freeways that are newly wet. Those roads become slick as ice IMO at the first onset of rain. I've always hated driving in the rain in LA.:(

KillaCam
02-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Waste of time. Unless it's a garage queen.

Desertnate
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Where I live this time of year, I just try to wash it whenever it's above freezing.

On at least one occasion I washed it at a touchless and before I could get home it started snowing again and covered in grime.

If I knew it was going to rain, I'd hold off until it was over that way I remove all the dirt, rain spots and road grime that comes from driving/sitting out in the storm.

Vegas Transplant
02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/46416-you-know-you-re-autogeek-when.html

hernandez.art13
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Lol ^ Bob you made me laugh :laughing:

Well my car is Opti Coated so washing my car has been a breeze and I'm not sure if a quick wax would be necessary.

Since it is going to rain days on end I'll just wait it out. I'll go take before and after pics too :D

Vegas Transplant
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Well my car is Opti Coated so...

With that said, I agree with KillaCam.

trekkeruss
02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
I've been told to wash it before it rains

:rolleyes:

Rmd
02-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Same boat here, missed last weekend's normal wash. Was debating same thing. I'll probably go blast the wheels at self serve wash after work and then dry and QD them with sonax brilliant shine to help protect from road grime over next three days of predicted rain. Hope it does rain. We need it here in SoCal.

hernandez.art13
02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
I am kinda excited about it raining though. Since my windshield is also opti coated. And I will get to go take more pictures of my 4 dressed tires and see how they stand during the rain. :)

Tato
02-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Guy Washing Car in the Rain mades me laugh a lot, thanks for that Bob!

...Any similarity may be mere coincidence lol! Someone at my home may have a secret video of me washing in the rain...

It's incredible how this subject gets people attention, the great 'idiot' washing his car in the rain... and that guy on the video looks serious!

I have split opinion on this, I'm one who hates washing before rain, but depending on vehicle state, it may be necessary... if it's too dirty, I'll wash it anyway.

If slightly dirt, maybe I can wait...

Fact is, washing before rain is my routine... if it's a beautiful sunny day, no rain prevision for the following WEEKS, I just need to wash my car, grab my polisher to apply some wax for the rain to start!

Looks like 'I'm being watched' by St. Peter, 'Sir of all Rain' in brazilian culture lol!

If I wash just before rain, but rain is little or fast and car gets wet, I just 'sheet' water over it again and dry with spray wax to help lifting any dirty left and making my towel passes smoother and scratch free.

Thanks for that topic,

Kind Regards.