PDA

View Full Version : Should I offer paint decontamination?

Pages : [1] 2

Abram86
02-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Should I offer that as a add option to any of my packages? And how much extra should it be for cars and full size vehicles? What is the best way to pitch it to potential customers?

AutowerxDetailing
02-26-2014, 01:00 AM
Paint decontamination shouldn't be an "option" in my opinion. I've seen tons of detail shops that up charge $50+ for a claybar treatment but I don't understand what they're going to do if a customer opts for any level of polishing and doesn't go for the claybar upgrade. Are they just going to polish over all the grit??? Doesn't make sense to me.

My recommendation would be to just include it as a standard feature in all of your packages that involve polishing.

FUNX650
02-26-2014, 01:03 AM
Should I offer that as a add option to any of my packages? And how much extra should it be for cars and full size vehicles? What is the best way to pitch it to potential customers?
You need to figure out the costs of the products/chemicals/supplies you are going to use to decontaminate vehicles...plus what value you place on your time to do so.

One selling-point:
Contaminates like brake dust and acid rain can really cause severe damage to the paint system...
Taking away from the vehicle's re-sale value...
Also...even to the point to where a re-spray may be needed.

Bob

Abram86
02-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Paint decontamination shouldn't be an "option" in my opinion. I've seen tons of detail shops that up charge $50+ for a claybar treatment but I don't understand what they're going to do if a customer opts for any level of polishing and doesn't go for the claybar upgrade. Are they just going to polish over all the grit??? Doesn't make sense to me.

My recommendation would be to just include it as a standard feature in all of your packages that involve polishing.

Right now I dont offer polishing. I figured there is a added benefit for claying a car so I wanted to make it an add on until I learn the correct way to buff and polish. Once I learn that ill create a package of decontamination and polishing

vdevan
02-26-2014, 02:00 AM
+1 on what nicholas has pointed out. A bare minimum should be a clay bar treatment. You can take it a step further with products such as Iron-X, Iron-Out, tar removers etc.

lawrenceSA
02-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Agree.

I will simply not polish point without decontaminating it first. Not ever. It is part of the price of the detail regardless.

Besides the obvious benefit to the owner in terms of mitigating the chance of clear coat failure and improving the look of the paint, they are informed of the risk of dislodging the contaminants during polishing which may lead to them being ground back into the paint, doing even more damage to the paint.

In my opinion paint polishing cannot occur on contaminated paint.

If you do not polishing, I assume you do wash n wax type 'details'. If this is the case, then decontaminating the paint will not only improve the looks in and of itself, but will also help your LSP bond to the actual paint, and thus increase its longevity.

thebamboo23
02-26-2014, 08:25 AM
maybe for heavily soiled cars you can charge a bit more to compensate for material/product

but to have it as an extra service, eh.. many others will disagree and have it as an add-on

KMG
02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I only have one option in my services where I don't decon. the paint, and that is the cheapest option for people who are looking to really save on price and are not overly crazy about having their car perfect. Other than that though every car is decon'd.

VP Mark
02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Offer a package that includes it and a package that doesn't. Decon is important but if people don't want to pay for it don't do it.

It's not like one decon will change the fate of a 2007 minivan that gets wash and vacuumed twice a year anyway. If you can't properly follow up/keep it decontaminated you really aren't gaining much.

[gets behind brick wall]

thebamboo23
02-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Mr Mark here is probably (imo) the best guys that understands his market on these boards

FUNX650
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Right now I dont offer polishing. I figured there is a added benefit for claying a car so I wanted to make it an add on until I learn the correct way to buff and polish. Once I learn that ill create a package of decontamination and polishing
Well...this changes everything as far as I'm concerned.
I never clay unless I plan on polishing the paint.

Bob

tuscarora dave
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM

If you're not going to do any polishing yet but want to offer paint decontamination as an up-charge, I suggest going with a chemical decontamination with a product like Iron-X or another with the reagent that turns red or purple (bleeds) when you apply it.

Clay or any other mechanical decontamination can potentially scratch and mar the finish creating a need for polishing to repair those scratches and or marring.

Sensationalize the whole "Watch it Bleed" thing and you'll have your clients talking about your service for sure, saying things like "no it really works" or "you can actually see it working".

Just make sure you cover the cost of material, time, profit margin and any additional post clean up effort (driveway) within the add-on price.

ShaunD
02-26-2014, 09:49 AM
If you're washing and waxing to give your customers the most clarity and shine possible without polishing, thn IronX(or otherdecon fluid) and removing bonded contamination(coating, Nanoskin, etc.) is essential and the only way to achieve those results. As far as pricing, the time it takes and the cost of material(cost of doing business) are bow you should price all your services. The only thing not charging for work you do does is leaves you with less money to pay for your bills and cost of doing business. Just because tires on a car and French fries with a Burger are the norm/standard doesn't mean auto manufacturers and fast food restaurants are giving them away. If you are detailing as a business then charge accordingly. As a reference, a local body shop that claims to do high end detailing sells claying for $35 on their menu. IMO a full decon should be 1.5-2 times that. It's one thing to offer detailing at cost to people you know when honing your skills but, not to people you are trying to make your customers. Unless you are doing charity work. But in that case you should go file as a nonprofit vice a DBA.:)

GenesisCoupe
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Since you do not offer polishing, i would recommend that claying be an additional charge. I doubt you will have a lot of people requesting this service though. Because claying takes about 45-60 minutes i would simple start with your hourly fee.

thebamboo23
02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Since you do not offer polishing, i would recommend that claying be an additional charge. I doubt you will have a lot of people requesting this service though. Because claying takes about 45-60 minutes i would simple start with your hourly fee.

takes me anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes