PDA

View Full Version : Water/soap ratio

Pages : [1] 2

Coopers ST
02-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I have maybe a silly question. I have never cared before about the amount of carwash soap vs amount of water I pour into the bucket. Should I care? Should I actually measure it out? If so how much of each should I use? I have seen people say they mark gallon lines on their buckets, again do people really care?

Thanks

jamesboyy
02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
I have maybe a silly question. I have never cared before about the amount of carwash soap vs amount of water I pour into the bucket. Should I care? Should I actually measure it out? If so how much of each should I use? I have seen people say they mark gallon lines on their buckets, again do people really care?

Thanks

It's not an silly question but to answer it yes you should measure out your car wash soap cause it's a waste of product, and it can strip your last step product if there's not enough water or too much car soap also always read the instructions on every car wash soap cause the directions can vary

FUNX650
02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
-Every penny counts.
-Another car washing session, if not enough car wash shampoo.
-Lots, and lots of extra rinsing if too much car wash shampoo.

I like to think this thread may be of assistance to your thread-starter's question/concern:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20190-measuring-car-wash-solution-dixie-cup-method.html

Bob

spiralout462
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I fill my bucket 2/3rd full with water. I then add exactly 2oz. DG902. Finally I finish filling the bucket while activating the foam. So I guess I do "care".

PreludeVTEC01
02-25-2014, 10:05 PM
I just started measuring. Before I just "eyeballed" it. Now I do care somewhat.

Coopers ST
02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys. Before I just squirted some soap in and filled the bucket with water.

kevincwelch
02-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I think there are two questions that need answering:

1) Is it unsafe to use the improper ratio of soap:water (i.e., will this strip my LSP, dry out my trim, dissolve epoxys, etc.)?

2) Is it simply an economic/environmental issue to use more or less soap than the recommended?

I think with certain shampoos (Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss comes to mind), having a higher concentration of soap will actually (or is stated to do so) strip your wax or to some extent your last step product. However, does having a high concentration of Chemical Guys Honeydew, Mr. Pink, GG, DP Xtreme Foam (just examples) increase the risk of stripping LSP?

(I'm actually curious myself.)

Because if for the majority of shampoos ratio doesn't really matter in terms of what's safe for your car, then it really boils down to economics and environmental factors.

Dogfather
02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I measure the car wash, but I don't measure the splash of ONR or UWW+ I toss in.

A.P.A.D.
02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Why not just follow the instructions on the soap bottle? The manufacturer tests their products and they set ratios for a reason. The product works correctly at the correct ratio.

JKL1031
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
I find with too much soap, the strands in my mitt do not expand well.:confused::confused:Or am I crazy.

Coopers ST
02-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Why not just follow the instructions on the soap bottle? The manufacturer tests their products and they set ratios for a reason. The product works correctly at the correct ratio.

Laziness and never measured out on the bucket how much water was actually in it.

Coopers ST
02-27-2014, 08:36 PM
To go with this, how much water are you guys using for a normal wash? Can you get away with two gallons?

swanicyouth
02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm confused why people wouldn't measure soap. Maybe I'm too picky, but I tend to go with what the manufacturer recommends for a dilution. You just get the 3oz measuring cups from AG and measure it. A bucket holds 5 gallons. Rinse the measuring cup in your rinse bucket. Then you have the correct dilution and the soap can perform as designed. Very easy.

SYMAWD
02-27-2014, 08:45 PM
For a 2BM I always fill my bucket to the same spot (3.5-4 gallons) and then just pour some shampoo in. I know the amount that works for me so I don't measure it.

For a rinseless wash I always measure it.

Coopers ST
02-27-2014, 08:58 PM
I have the yellow Meguiars buckets, I think they are only 3.5 gallons, should I fill them then?