PDA

View Full Version : Removing dust from paint: dust mops, MF towels?

Pages : [1] 2

Samson77
02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
HI everyone,
I recently spent 6 hours removing swirls using the XMT series (used 3,2,1) and am happy with the results. That being said, I am trying to be careful not to add the swirls back.
Will using one of those California car dusters to clean dust on the paint create swirls and/or scratches? What about a plush MF towel?
If they do and will add swirls and scratches, what is a good method to keep the car clean from dust between washes?

Thank you

swanicyouth
02-25-2014, 04:33 PM
The best way to remove dust from paint is with a Master Blaster or a Sidekick. If that don't do it, it ain't dust - its dirt.

jamesboyy
02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Like stated before use a blower like the master blaster or sidekick you could also do waterless wash with extra plush towels

VISITOR
02-25-2014, 04:48 PM
generally after a wash or applying a LSP, i don't touch the paint until the next wash...

silverfox
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Likewise I don't touch the paint until the next wash.

swanicyouth
02-25-2014, 04:53 PM
generally after a wash or applying a LSP, i don't touch the paint until the next wash...

Good man!

Samson77
02-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Sorry to be a newb, but LSP?

PreludeVTEC01
02-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Last Step Product

kevincwelch
02-25-2014, 05:42 PM

Last Step Product

(wax, sealant, coating, etc.)

Samson77
02-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Oh ok thank you very much. So based on the responses I definitely shouldn't use a car duster or MF towel to remove dust. I usually go a week between washes because of work schedule and hate to see all my hard work under a coat of dust here in dry so cal. Are the waterless washes a viable solution for a once a week between washes cleaning? Given that the dust appears to be statically clinging to the surface, will the blower methods work effectively?
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help

Samson77
02-25-2014, 07:11 PM
last step product
gak gak!!

Kamakaz1961
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
I would use a blower 1st. I have the Master Blaster Sidekick and that works really well. If you use the CA Dustbuster correctly, it is OK. Not as good as the sidekick. If the Sidekick or blower or CA Dustbuster (used correctly) does not remove the dust then I would do the foam gun 2 bucket wash 1st. A rinseless or waterless would be the far distant 2nd choice. Again, my opinion.

PS: If you use the CA Duster wrong it WILL scratch your paint so be very careful!

jamesboyy
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Oh ok thank you very much. So based on the responses I definitely shouldn't use a car duster or MF towel to remove dust. I usually go a week between washes because of work schedule and hate to see all my hard work under a coat of dust here in dry so cal. Are the waterless washes a viable solution for a once a week between washes cleaning? Given that the dust appears to be statically clinging to the surface, will the blower methods work effectively?
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help

Waterless wash is an viable way to remove dust you will want to have a product like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate in a spray bottle saturate one panel at a time, and wipe in one direction with a deep plush microfiber towel
then flip the towel/lightly buff the panel dry

shagnat
02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
I've used those California dusters and as long as you use one properly, they do work. Now, using it properly is by very very very lightly letting the very bottom edges of the material from the duster touch the dust and as little of the car as possible. IOW, you don't want that duster dragging on the paint or car. It's a delicate proposition.
Waterless car washes are great. Also, to be used properly you must use LOTS of MF towels as you do not want the dirt being dragged across your paint. I recently started using waterless washes (after tons of research) and use anywhere from 10-15 towels per wash. NEVER use the same side of a MF towel for a 2nd pass on your car if you want to protect your hard work that you did on getting your paint looking spectacular.
Hope this helps.

Kamakaz1961
02-25-2014, 08:40 PM
I've used those California dusters and as long as you use one properly, they do work. Now, using it properly is by very very very lightly letting the very bottom edges of the material from the duster touch the dust and as little of the car as possible. IOW, you don't want that duster dragging on the paint or car. It's a delicate proposition.
Waterless car washes are great. Also, to be used properly you must use LOTS of MF towels as you do not want the dirt being dragged across your paint. I recently started using waterless washes (after tons of research) and use anywhere from 10-15 towels per wash. NEVER use the same side of a MF towel for a 2nd pass on your car if you want to protect your hard work that you did on getting your paint looking spectacular.
Hope this helps.

Thank you shagnat that is how I use the duster. I am too lazy to explain!!....LOL Again, thanks
Im the MAN