PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Finishing Polishes.

Pages : [1] 2

Jrocket
02-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Hey Guys,

I know there are some threads out there about current Polishes, Finishing Polishes etc..

I was hoping you could give me your input, opinions, what have you about a few Polishes that would be good for me to go with.

First the cars.

I have a 13' White Jeep Wrangler --- Not sure about Jeep Paint?? ANyone know?
13' Pearl White Subaru Soft Paint
and a new 14' Black Lexus GS350 Fsport. Extremely Soft Paint

The Subaru and Jeep have some very Light swirls in the Paint. The Lexus has none at the moment and is Sitting in the Garage until I have a weekend to get it fully Cleaned, Preped and Coated.

What would be a Good Polish or two to pick up ?

I was going to buy Menzerna PF2500 and SF4500 but have read that sometimes they are not the easiest to remove?

I just want something similar to the two with Great ease of use, little to no dusting and easy to wipe off.

What are some good products by other brands that are similar to the two Menz products for Softer Paints with very light swirls?

Please provide some input.. It is greatly appreciated. :dblthumb2:

I have plenty of assorted Pad colors so Im good there! Only Polish I currently own is Meg's Ultimate Polish? Would anyone advice using this?

Jrocket
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Will be using my GG6

Again Thanks guys!

Extreme Radiance
02-25-2014, 11:57 AM
I have used Meguiars M105 and M205 with good success. M205 will finish out very smooth with a LC wht pad. My car is blk. No micro marring was left behind.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

HateSwirls
02-25-2014, 12:15 PM
IMO Meguiar's 205 Ultra Fine Polish is the easiest to work with.
It buffs off without much effort.
Decent work time.
Won't "Gum" up on you.
It's my go to polish.
Also has some correcting abilities on light defects using the correct pad for the job.

If you want a polish with less cut try the Optimum Finish Polish, the work time is very long.
Leaves a deep, rich looking high gloss shine.

For a good cut compound the Meguiar's 105 is KING when it comes down to severe defects but some guys complain on how difficult it can be to work with but myself I love it.
Just a couple of weeks back I needed it due to my Uber not getting it done.

My second choice and now my go to compound is the Wolfgang Uber.
What I love about it the most is it's finishing abilities, using a white pad you'd be very close to not having to go with a second step.
No joke, it's that good IMO plus it wipes off really easy for an aggressive compound.

The Critic
02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
From what I've seen, 205 does not finish well enough for my tastes on soft paints.

You did not mention which machine you have, but M205/Meg MF Finishing Disc can provide substantial correction on many paints. I would still finish M205 with either Reflect or 85rd for maximum gloss.

If your cars just have minor swirls, I would leave it alone unless you are trying to correct the paint in preparation for a coating.

Jrocket
02-25-2014, 01:01 PM
I am polishing the paint to correct the light swirsl before Coating the Jeep and The Subaru.

Im not sure on the lexus But more than likely will Clay and then use the lightest finishing Polish I can use .

I am using a GG6

A few of the prodcuts I considered

BlackFire SRC finishing polish.

Optimum ( not sure which one to use here)

and the Sonax Finishing Polish.. (from what I read not sure if this is best used with a GG6) maybe im wrong?

Also the Carpro reflect??

Thoughts?

I just want two comparables to the Menz products.

fly07sti
02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
I am polishing the paint to correct the light swirsl before Coating the Jeep and The Subaru.

Im not sure on the lexus But more than likely will Clay and then use the lightest finishing Polish I can use .

I am using a GG6

A few of the prodcuts I considered

BlackFire SRC finishing polish.

Optimum ( not sure which one to use here)

and the Sonax Finishing Polish.. (from what I read not sure if this is best used with a GG6) maybe im wrong?

Also the Carpro reflect??

Thoughts?

I just want two comparables to the Menz products.

I have a Subaru and a couple friends with subaru's. For finishing I really enjoy using reflect go highly polish the soft subie paint. I have Menz 4500 which is a great polish as well, but I typically use it on German cars primarily. Blackfire finish is a very good, un-spoken about product as well, but haven't used it for a while. IMO, a lot really comes down to preference. A lot also depends on your technique., machine and pad combo. If you'd like to try some reflect, just pm me and I could send you a sample.

Jrocket
02-25-2014, 03:17 PM
PM sent. Thanks for the offer FLY !

May lean towards picking up the Blackfire and the Reflect after trying it out. :dblthumb2:

Still in for more opinions.

Thanks Guys

KlasslessDetail
02-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Depending on how significant the swirls are you may not want a finishing polish at all. But if a recommendation for a finishing polish needs to be given I like Poorboys World Polish w/ Sealant (as its ability to be applied/worked in direct sunlight is amazing). 205 is another Go-To of mine as is Klasse AIO (tho no cutting ability is in AIO, it still makes for a great product to finish with and leaves great protection for months)

Jrocket
02-25-2014, 03:49 PM
The Swirls are very light in both of these vehicles.
Not bad at all and of course with both of them being white I figured a Finishing Polish would be all I need.

What Attracted me to the Menz products were the reviews and finished people were getting as a 1 step on PF2500 and I figured if need be I could finish off with SF4500 but seems there may be some alternatives just as good for Less $$ , Less needed work time, and easier to remove.. which are all important thougth the $$ is the least concern of the 3.

Maybe I should pick up a finishing Polish and something else with just a slight bit more cut as well?

I do have the Meg's Ultimate Polish. I believe it has a bit more cut and would do the job and then could use a finish polish.

Gonna have to test a few pads as well to see what works best. was thinking. white then tangerine and then possibly orange

KlasslessDetail
02-25-2014, 04:06 PM
The Swirls are very light in both of these vehicles.
Not bad at all and of course with both of them being white I figured a Finishing Polish would be all I need.

What Attracted me to the Menz products were the reviews and finished people were getting as a 1 step on PF2500 and I figured if need be I could finish off with SF4500 but seems there may be some alternatives just as good for Less $$ , Less needed work time, and easier to remove.. which are all important thougth the $$ is the least concern of the 3.

Maybe I should pick up a finishing Polish and something else with just a slight bit more cut as well?

I do have the Meg's Ultimate Polish. I believe it has a bit more cut and would do the job and then could use a finish polish.

Gonna have to test a few pads as well to see what works best. was thinking. white then tangerine and then possibly orange

Much of this is trial and error and determining what products not only are effective but also ease of use/removal etc.. Use the least abrasive polish/pad first, if swirls are still prevalent, try a more abrasive pad... if more work is needed, switch to a more abrasive polish and adjust pads accordingly :)

Quiksilver5882
02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
HD Polish and Optimum Hyper polish are excellent choices as well!

swanicyouth
02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Optimum regular polishes are the way to go IMHO.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Menz SF4000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TundraPower
02-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Hey Guys,

I know there are some threads out there about current Polishes, Finishing Polishes etc..

I was hoping you could give me your input, opinions, what have you about a few Polishes that would be good for me to go with.

First the cars.

I have a 13' White Jeep Wrangler --- Not sure about Jeep Paint?? ANyone know?
13' Pearl White Subaru Soft Paint
and a new 14' Black Lexus GS350 Fsport. Extremely Soft Paint

The Subaru and Jeep have some very Light swirls in the Paint. The Lexus has none at the moment and is Sitting in the Garage until I have a weekend to get it fully Cleaned, Preped and Coated.

What would be a Good Polish or two to pick up ?

I was going to buy Menzerna PF2500 and SF4500 but have read that sometimes they are not the easiest to remove?

I just want something similar to the two with Great ease of use, little to no dusting and easy to wipe off.

What are some good products by other brands that are similar to the two Menz products for Softer Paints with very light swirls?

Please provide some input.. It is greatly appreciated. :dblthumb2:

I have plenty of assorted Pad colors so Im good there! Only Polish I currently own is Meg's Ultimate Polish? Would anyone advice using this?

2500/4500 is an excellent combination. If you want something else Sonax Perfect Finish and Rupes Ultra Diamond are fabulous. Megs Ultimate is way too aggressive on Lexus black. Megs 105 and 205 are next to worthless.