PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for showing work at car show.

Johnnyboy
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone. Looking to get some input and tried searching but no luck on what I'm needing. I will be attending a car show that is known to attract a lot of custom/modified cars. As we all know, a vast majority of these cars are in good condition but only to the untrained eye. Original idea was to work on a paint correction live but then thought about space restrictions and dust that the products can produce and decided against this and was also advised it would not be permitted on the premises. I have now found a donor Escalade which has major swirls and marring in the paint with a very dirty interior and faded trim and thought about detailing one whole half of the vehicle and leave the other untouched. I was looking for any other ideas as to what you all have tried at any car shows or gatherings that have gotten you business. Thanks in advance.

57BORNTORUN
02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
What car shows?If you want to travel to Broward I`m friends with the guy that runs the show at Tower shops at 595 and University every Friday night.500 + hot rods in our winter many from Miami.

Johnnyboy
02-25-2014, 11:24 AM
What car shows?If you want to travel to Broward I`m friends with the guy that runs the show at Tower shops at 595 and University every Friday night.500 + hot rods in our winter many from Miami.

This one is actually Nurotag. It's going to be here in Miami by the Miami International Airport. My schedule doesn't allow me to get to towers on time. I know there is a lot of potential there but out of my way. My cousin goes there all the time to advertise his services. He's the owner of Bullseye Powdercoating in Broward.

57BORNTORUN
02-25-2014, 11:36 AM
You will then have to get permission or pay a fee if they offer vendors spots.I have never been to that show but if you are doing demos. that`s generally how it works.It`s more so about insurance and profits.My good friend actually started the idea that is now what is the Show at the Towers and run by another friend.It was a way to get away from the wife, drink beer and street race.My how things have changed.Good luck.

Mike Phillips
02-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Tough nut to crack....

Getting someone with a cool car, be it a classic, hotrod, or some new modern customers car or exotic, whatever it is.... to let an detailer that they don't know, to get them to let you "touch" it is a tough nut to crack.

First, most of them don't know a squirrel from a swirl, that is they don't think or know their car can look better than it already looks.

Second, even when they themselves don't know how to properly work on it they don't trust anyone else to work on it.

I've given tips in the past on this forum on how to crack this nut, not sure what kind of search words to use to dig them up.

Good luck though....

The difference between a swirl and squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html)

For clarification...

This is a Squirrel
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch011.jpg

These are Swirls
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/CobwebSwirls001.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

abqhudson
02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
I'd be careful. After attending a custom car show last week and seeing the most beautiful paint and meticulous attention to detail - I would be very hesitant to compete with this crowd. It would be hard to stand out with your stock car in the group that I saw. The worst paint I saw was on a 2014 Corvette - no swirls, just terrible orange peeled paint.

I'm sure that many car nuts looking at exquisite paint were wondering - "How do they do that". Maybe a 50/50 car would stand out - 1/2 before and 1/2 after. Just my 2 cents.

Johnnyboy
02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
You will then have to get permission or pay a fee if they offer vendors spots.I have never been to that show but if you are doing demos. that`s generally how it works.It`s more so about insurance and profits.My good friend actually started the idea that is now what is the Show at the Towers and run by another friend.It was a way to get away from the wife, drink beer and street race.My how things have changed.Good luck.

Tough nut to crack....

Getting someone with a cool car, be it a classic, hotrod, or some new modern customers car or exotic, whatever it is.... to let an detailer that they don't know, to get them to let you "touch" it is a tough nut to crack.

First, most of them don't know a squirrel from a swirl, that is they don't think or know their car can look better than it already looks.

Second, even when they themselves don't know how to properly work on it they don't trust anyone else to work on it.

I've given tips in the past on this forum on how to crack this nut, not sure what kind of search words to use to dig them up.

Good luck though....

The difference between a swirl and squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html)

For clarification...

This is a Squirrel
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch011.jpg

These are Swirls
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/CobwebSwirls001.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks 57BORNTORUN. I have the vendor spot but working there on a car there at the show is a no no, which is why I'll be using the demonstration vehicle that is going to be half and half to show the before and after.

Mike. Thanks for your input. Getting the demonstration vehicle was not a big deal as this was a car I was supposed to do a paint correction on anyways and actually belongs to a family member. Like you said, since people don't really know the difference, showing a car done only halfway, by showing this before and after, I would hopefully open up their eyes about how much attention their paint actually needs and showing what to look for in paint that needs attention. The car will be paint corrected down one side including half of the engine, half of the interior......split completely down the middle.

I was wondering about what other ideas can be used, to get peoples attention.

Johnnyboy
02-25-2014, 12:05 PM
I'd be careful. After attending a custom car show last week and seeing the most beautiful paint and meticulous attention to detail - I would be very hesitant to compete with this crowd. It would be hard to stand out with your stock car in the group that I saw. The worst paint I saw was on a 2014 Corvette - no swirls, just terrible orange peeled paint.

I'm sure that many car nuts looking at exquisite paint were wondering - "How do they do that". Maybe a 50/50 car would stand out - 1/2 before and 1/2 after. Just my 2 cents.

My car in particular is not stock but I won't be showing it that day anyways. In this area. many cars go to shows and look very nice but a lot don't really notice how bad their paint is until it is pointed out but like Mike said....peope don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl. 50/50 is exactly what I'll be doing to show the before and after. Thanks.

Justin M.
02-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I think your 50/50 approach is a great idea, probably the next best thing to actually doing some detailing at the show.

spoocobra
02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey you stole my idea! Just kidding I have always had that thought in my head of doing that but never did so can't tell you how it would work.

But I like it and if people ask if it's real could you "hand" correct the unfinished side a little?

Hope it works out good for ya.

EXTJosh
02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
I think the 50/50 is a solid idea. I love Mike's "swirl is not a squirrel" analogy and you educating potential clients on what swirled paint looks like vs. corrected is a definite eye catcher (plus interior, engine bay, etc). The Cadi truck is a great attention grabber for passer-by's too, but as an Escalade owner maybe I'm a little biased :)

spoocobra
02-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Just to elaborate a little more maybe on the finished side you could break it down into say 3 or 4 steps ie: 70% 80% 90% 100% coated, showing different levels of correction? Just an idea

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-26-2014, 06:24 PM
When i do shows i do a 50/50 outside and a 50/50 inside people oogle over it!!! People dont realize how much better a professional can make there vehicle appear until they see the difference . Also High end cars are a great market but a very small one. I go to our oregon outdoor sportmans show , rv show and all the local car shows here in central oregon. I do way better at the outdoor sportsmans show and rv show than any car show.