PDA

View Full Version : Anybody detail an Infiniti JX35?

aim4squirrels
02-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Got a couple of questions of you have.

Wife and I bought one lightly used recently in a emerald slate color as our kid hauler. Sunday was it's first wash, and as I didn't have time to do a full correction on it yet, I slapped some meguiars ultimate wax on it.

While cleaning it up, two things stood out as really odd:

The upper most roof panel, the one that surrounds the sun roofs, is a significantly rougher texture than any other panel on the car. I can't figure it out: the car is a 2013 so oxidation can't be that bad on it, it's the farthest possible panel from road contamination, and the hood which is another horizontal surface and the two trim pieces running next to this central roof panel are not rough like this, so I can't be sure it's tree fallout. It's really strange. My concern is if I go to buff out the scratches, something terrible might happen.

The other thing that threw me a bit. The rear wheel well liners are a type of felt material, not plastic like the front ones. Anybody ever seen something like this on a vehicle before?

Just02896
02-24-2014, 10:00 PM
The rough areas on the roof could easily just be contaminants that need to be iron x'ed and clayed to remove. A lot of people neglect the roof areas of SUV's! If you have doubts as to whether there is enough paint to safely correct, you could always stop by a professional detail shop and ask if they could take a thickness reading.

Our 2013 Avalon has the felt lined fender wells too. Seems odd at first but it does a lot for silencing sand and debris as it shoots off the tires. It's rinses out clean and quite easily!

jamesboyy
02-24-2014, 10:20 PM
As stated before the roof/higher area's of a vehicle is usually the most looked over area's for whatever reason but can be fixed my iron-x, and clay as for the felt lined wheel wells it's there to mute the outside noise, tune or make the car sound a certain way

KillaCam
02-24-2014, 10:37 PM
I have. I believe the paint is very hard because I've done a few clay/sealant jobs on one that was taken through the swirl o matic plenty of times before I got my hands on it and the paint still isn't swirled barely at all.

aim4squirrels
02-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll run some clay over it and see where we stand, I've got a liter of iron x for it as well in the near future.

The wheel well thing is odd, definitely threw me off. I thought maybe the original wells were damaged and the dealer left off the plastic pieces exposing the sound deadening material underneath. I've never seen a felt-type wheel well before...

GreatAvalon
02-24-2014, 11:39 PM
My 2012 Camry has the carpet type stuff rear wheel wells too. Its so fun to pressure wash them out and see all the crap come out of it and sit all over the driveway. They clean up nice. Just wish I could fit a brush in there to scrub them with OPC to really get them clean. But then again they will get dirty quick anyways.

chris11le
02-25-2014, 08:24 AM
I have. I believe the paint is very hard because I've done a few clay/sealant jobs on one that was taken through the swirl o matic plenty of times before I got my hands on it and the paint still isn't swirled barely at all.

Thats the first time in a long time Ive seen a reference to hard paint on an Infiniti.

My Malbec Black G37 would scratch/swirl if you look at it funny (before OptiCoat....now, as proven by my other thread in this forum, the only thing that will hose it is a "free dealer hand wash")

KillaCam
02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Thats the first time in a long time Ive seen a reference to hard paint on an Infiniti.

My Malbec Black G37 would scratch/swirl if you look at it funny (before OptiCoat....now, as proven by my other thread in this forum, the only thing that will hose it is a "free dealer hand wash")

That's what I've heard also but not this particular one. It's only about a year old so maybe they changed paint systems. It's a metallic white color and I've looked at it under halogens and leds.

chris11le
02-25-2014, 09:44 AM
That's what I've heard also but not this particular one. It's only about a year old so maybe they changed paint systems. It's a metallic white color and I've looked at it under halogens and leds.

Interesting. I know Ive read the black colors are definitely uber soft (and I can attest to that too), but maybe not the white.

I do love that eggshell-looking white color and I was actually interested in a QX60 for the wife so maybe there is hope!

Ive never been able to have a vehicle thats the best of more than one world. I either love the vehicle for the way it is (my G37) or the paint holds up really well (wifes Acura TL), but never both at the same time. Bad luck I guess.

AUdakota
02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
We have a super black nissan pathfinder (same paint as JX) and it is super soft definitely don't let the dealer touch it