PDA

View Full Version : Help: Should I get a PC or the UDM

Pages : [1] 2

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-09-2007, 09:41 AM
All the research I have done has led me to believe that unless you are just a bull in china shop paint damage with a PC is very tough, with that said I was going to purchase a PC in the near future.

With the advent of the UDM and subsequent great reviews I am starting to lean towards the UDM.

I have read that paint correction with the UDM is much easier and less time consuming than the PC. Considering correction is easier/quicker than the PC I would assume so is paint damage?

MY QUESTION: How much easier would it be to damage the paint when compared to a PC, how much harder would it be to damage paint when compared to a rotary?

All help is appreciated!

OCDetails
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Having used the PC on a swirl removal this weekend I have to say that I'm not seeing the difference in results between this and the PC. The UDM still has some modifications that need to be made before it is a machine that I would say is superior to the PC for most jobs. The power switch needs to be modified to be a little safer. It is tricky to turn off and way too easy to turn on. I've had it activate just by setting it down wrong. David is working on a fix for that problem though.

Unless you are dealing with damage that really tests the limits of the PC, then you aren't going to see the power of the UDM demonstrated. The swirls that I polished out wouldn't have taken any longer to polish with the PC. It isn't a huge difference in speed if there is any.

If David's fix for the power switch isn't going to involve replacing the whole housing then I'd say that you should get the UDM. It is the exact same thing as the PC but with a bigger motor. The comparison to a rotary doesn't seem to make much sense. It has the exact same guts as the PC and is just as safe as the PC. From what I understand there is more power per setting, but it isn't like the machine is more dangerous. You just don't need to set it to 6 as often to remove swirls and paint damage. But as far as creating rotary style damage, I just don't think that is possible. It still isn't spinning nearly as fast as a rotary. It is also still a random orbital polisher, unlike the rotary. And it isn't using wool pads, which really create damage. So it is still much much safer than the rotary.

Long story short.... Get the UDM and keep an eye out for modifications and updates from David. I wouldn't suggest you turn in your PC for a UDM just yet, but if you have to choose between the two then I can see the UDM being a much better choice in the long run.

pt91
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Udm

rwisejr
07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
UDM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have both and a Rotory

trlblazer3
07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
UDM without question.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
OCD great info, thanks

So using the udm is just as safe (remember 1st machine) for the paint as the PC huh?? Well, I'll be getting a UDM....

I'm not extremly worried, I try to be very cautious with my work.

Thanks to all who provided input!!

investinwaffles
07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Despite my recent equipment failure, i would reccomend the UDM. It is a lot more powerful and with both, it will be very hard to burn the paint due to the random part of the orbit.

Just go with the least abrasive solution first (IMHO, if the swirls are kind of medium use Menz nano with an orange pad, then move to something like XMT 360 and a white pad to finish it up).

blkexcoupe
07-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Despite my recent equipment failure, i would reccomend the UDM. It is a lot more powerful and with both, it will be very hard to burn the paint due to the random part of the orbit.

Just go with the least abrasive solution first (IMHO, if the swirls are kind of medium use Menz nano with an orange pad, then move to something like XMT 360 and a white pad to finish it up).

What failed on your udm?

I was also going to get the PC as my first machine, but decided to go UDM. I've been waiting for what seems like weeks for it to come, but wednesday will be the big day.

wytstang
07-10-2007, 12:47 AM
What failed on your udm?

I was also going to get the PC as my first machine, but decided to go UDM. I've been waiting for what seems like weeks for it to come, but wednesday will be the big day. His power switch popped off.

supercharged
07-10-2007, 12:58 AM
I tried my UDM a couple hours ago (will post review tomorrow) and I will tell you I was amazed! UDM rocks! Less vibrations, but you can feel a stronger motor.

blkexcoupe
07-10-2007, 02:30 AM
His power switch popped off.

That sucks...

My friends are waiting to compare the UDM vs PC side by side on thursday. Hopefully somone will bring a good camera to take pics.

Junebug
07-10-2007, 07:14 AM
I have a PC and a Makita rotary. The PC is fine for what it's intended for, light correction and applying glazes/AIO's (works great with Poliseal) but you're going to need a rotary if you need to correct paint. Also, contrary to popular belief, wool pads do NOT damage paint - unless you have no clue what you're doing. Wool runs cooler than foam and nothing corrects faster or easier, now, you'll need a foam polishing pad to finish with but that's what paint correction takes - 2 steps, compound and polish. Look at the prices and then decide. BTW - a few of us got together a couple weeks ago and tried different machines, PC, UDM. Cyclo and Makita - I'll stick with what I have.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a PC and a Makita rotary. The PC is fine for what it's intended for, light correction and applying glazes/AIO's (works great with Poliseal) but you're going to need a rotary if you need to correct paint. Also, contrary to popular belief, wool pads do NOT damage paint - unless you have no clue what you're doing. Wool runs cooler than foam and nothing corrects faster or easier, now, you'll need a foam polishing pad to finish with but that's what paint correction takes - 2 steps, compound and polish. Look at the prices and then decide. BTW - a few of us got together a couple weeks ago and tried different machines, PC, UDM. Cyclo and Makita - I'll stick with what I have.

See I don't have a rotary or a PC, so our situations are different, that's why I'm asking on UDM experiences. I'm not deciding which tool to use in my arsenal, I am looking for the best tool to begin my arsenal with.

What I'm hearing from the majority is the the PC is great, the UDM has a little less vibration but a stronger motor which will further aid ease of minor to moderate correction when compared to the PC.

I would love to get a rotary but not without someone in the area to give me a quick rotary 101 session.

ecetim
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm in your situation and picked the UDM. I am a bit concerned over the new-ness of the product and the resulting longevity, but the better features won me over. Hopefully the company & AG (to whatever degree they are responsible) will stand behind it if there are quality issues.

OCDetails
07-10-2007, 06:01 PM
That sucks...

My friends are waiting to compare the UDM vs PC side by side on thursday. Hopefully somone will bring a good camera to take pics.

I've already posted pictures here and on Autopia. They are almost identical machines except for the power switch and counterweight.

I have yet to encounter damage that the PC couldn't correct, so other than being faster perhaps, I haven't found a need for a rotary at all. I am able to do the job at the right margins, so the extra speed of a rotary just isn't something I need. If the UDM gives me a little more bite and shaves some time off my average, then fantastic. I think I'm pretty quick as it is, so I don't think the rotary will really speed things up much. The one place that I would like a rotary is when I'm detailing boats and RVs. There is less danger of burning gelcoat and lessening the time you have to stare at blinding white in the sun is always a good thing.