PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green and Microfiber

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey guyz. I have two questions for the pros. I have been using simple green as a degreaser/body solvent for a while to help get road grime, bugs and all the other annoying junk that gets on paint before I was. Basically I dilute it 50/50 and spray it on and let it soak for a minute and then hose it off. My question is if this is okay or should I use something else? I will say the only reason I use it is because its cheap for a gallon and I use it alot. I have found other degreasers that are more specific, but they are expensive.My other question is, can someone explain the percentages that are written on the tag of MFs. I know that MFs come in a variety of types, but I was just wondering what exactly it means?Thanks.

BILL
06-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey guyz. I have two questions for the pros. I have been using simple green as a degreaser/body solvent for a while to help get road grime, bugs and all the other annoying junk that gets on paint before I was. Basically I dilute it 50/50 and spray it on and let it soak for a minute and then hose it off. My question is if this is okay or should I use something else? I will say the only reason I use it is because its cheap for a gallon and I use it alot. I have found other degreasers that are more specific, but they are expensive.My other question is, can someone explain the percentages that are written on the tag of MFs. I know that MFs come in a variety of types, but I was just wondering what exactly it means?Thanks.

Not sure about using simple green on the body panels, but for everthing else its great, wheel wells engine fire walls etc.........

I think the 70/30 ratio on the microfiber towels is a step down from the 80/20
although i may have it backwards.....

also KILLRWHEELS posted this a few days ago for added info on M.F's

Ultra Plush --- Best for Quickdetailing , very plush (med blue-dk edging)
Mangos --- all purpose slightly thicker than ones (forrest greens)come in kit
Guzzler --- Waffle Weave , great for drying (light green)
Miracle Towel --- All purpose, thick soft, lots of strands (bright blue)
Glass Waffle Weave --- glass purpose, light material (grey/silver)
Yellow Micros --- all purpose, extremely similar to kit towels in lighter coloring (yellow)
Edgeless -- formerly Indigo, these towels have a weave unlike normal micros, great for wax and polish removal (gold):cheers:

miked2
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I've used Simple Green in the winter as a pressure washer soap on my car. It works just fine. The key thing with SG is that you don't want it to sit too long on the paint.

Simple Green works great with almost everything, EXCEPT unprotected aluminum. It will eat the aluminum if it sits too long.

BILL
06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
I've used Simple Green in the winter as a pressure washer soap on my car. It works just fine. The key thing with SG is that you don't want it to sit too long on the paint.

Simple Green works great with almost everything, EXCEPT unprotected aluminum. It will eat the aluminum if it sits too long.

Thanks mike.......Simple green just got promoted to my panels:righton:

ScottB
06-07-2006, 07:15 PM

you are absolutely correct, it can be very damaging to uncoated wheels.

Reddwarf
06-07-2006, 07:23 PM
A tyro question: how do you know if the aluminum wheels are uncoated? I assume the wheels on my Jag S-type are aluminum, but I don't know if they are coated or not.

ScottB
06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
factory wheels are 99% of the time clearcoated. Usually clearcoated also means they look slightly milky even with ceramic clearcoats. Use a little paint polish and rub an area, if it turns black they are uncoated. I believe you can use a little lemon juice also on a rag.

miked2
06-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Simple Green is an under-utilized product, IMHO. It is a very gentle cleaner so long as you dilute it appropriately (1:30 for car bodies). It may strip wax, however, so be forewarned!

That said, I would recommend using a dedicated car "shampoo" -- Meg's sells some that are quite inexpensive -- and save SG for wheel wells, etc. I use it in the winter with the pressure washer just because it is essentially a liquid, and therefore can be used with the p/w. In the summer I stick with a dedicated auto soap.

BILL
06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Simple Green is an under-utilized product, IMHO. It is a very gentle cleaner so long as you dilute it appropriately (1:30 for car bodies). It may strip wax, however, so be forewarned!

That said, I would recommend using a dedicated car "shampoo" -- Meg's sells some that are quite inexpensive -- and save SG for wheel wells, etc. I use it in the winter with the pressure washer just because it is essentially a liquid, and therefore can be used with the p/w. In the summer I stick with a dedicated auto soap.

I See simple green at some auto parts stores sold in a spray bottle, same stuff?? just diluted??

Reddwarf
06-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I See simple green at some auto parts stores sold in a spray bottle, same stuff?? just diluted??

May not be diluted. I bought a spray bottle plus a gallon refill at Sam's Club and the spray bottle is straight SG. The label says to dilute it for most applications.

miked2
06-08-2006, 12:02 AM
That's one issue that a lot of people have with SG. Even if you buy it in the spray bottle, it is *not* diluted -- you still have to dilute! Best way is to get an empty spray bottle and then dilute as necessary.

We use SG as our primary in-the-house cleaner. A 1:30 ratio is basically one-eighth of a cup to two cups of water (that's actually 1:32, but close enough). A bottle of SG lasts a lonnnggg time.

Brace1
06-08-2006, 05:11 AM
We use SG as our primary in-the-house cleaner. A 1:30 ratio is basically one-eighth of a cup to two cups of water (that's actually 1:32, but close enough). A bottle of SG lasts a lonnnggg time.
Am I off base here? In my simple mind I consider 1/8 cup to a 2 cup ratio to be 1:16, not 1:30.

BILL
06-08-2006, 07:07 AM
May not be diluted. I bought a spray bottle plus a gallon refill at Sam's Club and the spray bottle is straight SG. The label says to dilute it for most applications.

THANKS...... Just seems strange to have to di- lute a spray bottle......

but i'll get it and use it anyway it comes.....want to clean my tires real good and get off the old dressings for a new one......:)

Reddwarf
06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
I checked my spray bottle and it says "Concentrated" on the label. I bought it at Costco not Sam's (I'm in my dottage I guess). I agree, it seems odd to have to dilute a spray bottle.

BILL
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I checked my spray bottle and it says "Concentrated" on the label. I bought it at Costco not Sam's (I'm in my dottage I guess). I agree, it seems odd to have to dilute a spray bottle.

OK THANKS.........:cheers: