PDA

View Full Version : Removing leather dye?

zach.rowe1
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm currently working on a black maserati and the dye needs to be removed from the seats for a redye. I have scrubbed with leather cleaner and a brush and its doing hardly anything. The fastest way I found is by peeling it with my fingers but that's taking FOREVER. Any tips, tricks, or ideas?

Sent from my Z740 using AG Online

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Leather Cleaner isn`t made to strip the dye. I don`t want to offend you, but maybe you should let a professional do the stripping if you are having trouble.

zach.rowe1
02-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I work at a professional detail shop thank you. I'm not doing this at home. I guy that owns a custom interior shop brought it to us to do. We have tried paint thinner and leather cleaner I just want to know if anyone has any tips

DaVinciAutoSpa
02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Try sanding it. Start with high grit like a 2000 and see what happens.

Flash Gordon
02-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Try sanding it. Start with high grit like a 2000 and see what happens.

:iagree:

No need to remove 100% of it either. Scuff it up then wipe it down with IPA. You'll be ready to shoot then. What dye are you using?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I work at a professional detail shop thank you. I'm not doing this at home. I guy that owns a custom interior shop brought it to us to do. We have tried paint thinner and leather cleaner I just want to know if anyone has any tips

Got ya. I wasn`t trying to second guess your skills or anything. I just have seen guys screw up expensive cars and pay out the ass for it.

Dr_Pain
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Hopefully this is not against the rules

How to Re-dye Leather | Leatherique Restoration Products (http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/how_to_re-dye_leather.html)

Depending on the leather (lacquer, water based) you are dealing with you will have slightly different prep. You will need to mechanically strip before a good chemical prep and redye (spraying better than blotting.... multiple thin over full coverage on the first pass). If I am not mistaken there are a few YouTube vid on the process

Hope this helps!