PDA

View Full Version : Microfibre University

Photecs
02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Ok, even with watching video's, and reading Mike's microfibre towel article - I still don't know what MF works best in each situation. I know that there's a lot of "opinion" into the best MF towels out there... but in general, what's the best MF for:

After a wash: I've heard Mothers WW, or Cobra Guzzler WW

After a clay session:

After doing IPA:

During a two step correction:

Removing a wax:

Applying QD:

spiralout462
02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
There is an overwhelming amount of choices in microfiber. When I started detailing seriously I spent hundreds on various towels just to find out what I liked and what worked. I have a wide variety of towels to choose from but the towels I reach for the most include........

Drying: Guzzlers

Quick detail, spray wax: Cobra 600gsm (purple)

Wax, polish removal: Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile, Cobra Miracle towel, Cobra Gold Plush, green rolled edge

Waterless wash: Chichilla, Cobra 600 gsm

Final wipe: Woobie, Chinchilla

Door jambs, under hood, wheels: El Cheapo, The Costco towels are well recieved for these applications. Personally I use whatever I have that is not considered "paint safe".

cleanmycorolla
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
OP, so long as the towel is a quality towel, really in the end it wont matter. I use 360GSM Gold Plush Jr's for pretty much every task, and they do the job great. Nice nap, and just a workhorse of a towel.

CDot
02-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Ok, even with watching video's, and reading Mike's microfibre towel article - I still don't know what MF works best in each situation. I know that there's a lot of "opinion" into the best MF towels out there... but in general, what's the best MF for:

After a wash: I've heard Mothers WW, or Cobra Guzzler WW (either one is good). Chemical Guys Gray Matter is also very good--I have one.

After a clay session: any decent towel, as there is no product on the paint. Gold Plush Jr's or Rolled Edge towels are good all-purpose.

After doing IPA: same as above

During a two step correction: I use the "Clean & Buff" towels for polish since the product can be a little tough to remove. These towels aren't super plush and remove polish residue very well.

Removing a wax: Gold Plush Jr's, Supreme 530, Arctic Whites, Green/Blue Rolled Edge

Applying QD: Gold Plush Jr's, Super Plush Purple

I put my votes in above, don't get to worked up about choices--a lot of the towels are similar except for very minor things (like silk edges vs rolled edges and colored green instead of blue). Good luck!

cardaddy
03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
OP, so long as the towel is a quality towel, really in the end it wont matter. I use 360GSM Gold Plush Jr's for pretty much every task, and they do the job great. Nice nap, and just a workhorse of a towel.

The 360's are a really good choice for a good all around towel. Although I can't live with the price of the "plush Jr's". The ones I get are sold as 360's (but are actually 365's) and from what I can tell ARE the same towel. I've got a few from AG that came with various products, (like the Black Label Elite kit) and once they were mixed in with the others I can't tell which is which.

Hopefully by the end of next week we'll have 180 new ones. (If Customs ever lets the container clear.) :rolleyes:

I REALLY like the 530's from MFT though. Talk about a durable towel! :dblthumb2:More durable (imo) than the Cobra's, a bit softer, although the loops are a bit shorter they are denser, (on both sides).

BrutalNoodle
03-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I wonder how many of us would end up with 1 or two types of towels at most if we could do it all over again.

A single type all-purpose paint safe towel for; wash, dry, wax, and window.

A low-level type for grimy area.

Done.

VP Mark
03-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I wonder how many of us would end up with 1 or two types of towels at most if we could do it all over again.

A single type all-purpose paint safe towel for; wash, dry, wax, and window.

A low-level type for grimy area.

Done.

This is what I've done. One set for paint work, one type for glass, one for ONR, and one for interior. Makes life a lot easier and cheaper. Buy each type in bulk and downgrade them to interiors when they get worn out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

cardaddy
03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
This is what I've done. One set for paint work, one type for glass, one for ONR, and one for interior. Makes life a lot easier and cheaper. Buy each type in bulk and downgrade them to interiors when they get worn out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

I agree! ;)

The good 360's (when new) can do most any paint related tasks. (Then the shaggy types are good for rinseless (and even QD duties if ya' want).

Then the 600 dual plush and up are good for only QD and final wipe downs.

Then I REALLY like the MF Tech 530's for a job where you want more than the 360's but still want a dual-nap towel. They are easily the best bargain in MF I've seen. (At maybe 25 cents (or less) more per towel than the 360's.)

And of course everything can get downgraded to less than paint quality as time goes on. (Well everything but the dual plush 600 and up units.) ;)

I still would like to try some of the hemmed and/or edgeless from the rag co, just have too many others to justify yet another $75+ purchase.

Maybe someone wants to trade me a couple for an equal value lot from MF Tech? ;) :dunno:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online