PDA

View Full Version : OC2.0 few questions for first time.

Legacykid
02-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Picked up some OC 2.0 for the intent of doing a new set of wheels I plan to get

First question is since the wheels are new, will I have to prep them in any way other than to use an IPA wipedown?

The method I plan to use is the Suede Microfiber towels, I will do the entire face and barrel. Should I cut the towels to a smaller size for ease of use? and I should throw them away after a single use correct?

Now I should wait 3-5 mins before buffing the high spots( unless it is drying quickly) With the microfiber I use to buff should I throw that away as well, or will a wash clean it out?

I also saw a thread that mentioned you can use OC2.0 on brake calipers. I have a new set, now is it the same method as new wheels, simple wipedown, anything I should be mindful of?

A lot of questions, but I have been searching a while and have not seen these specifically asked.

Thanks!

hernandez.art13
02-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Do you have the wheels with you at this moment? or are you still waiting for them? The reason I ask is to check if claying them would be necessary, you never know and won't hurt to check, polishing them and so on. I've found that prep work is key when coating.

what type of wheels are they? chrome? clear coated, powder coat, etc...

Legacykid
02-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Do you have the wheels with you at this moment? or are you still waiting for them? The reason I ask is to check if claying them would be necessary, you never know and won't hurt to check, polishing them and so on. I've found that prep work is key when coating.

what type of wheels are they? chrome? clear coated, powder coat, etc...

good point with the clay, and no I have not received them yet. they are clear coated VMR wheels. I emailed the company about using a polish, they said if you need to it would be ok to use a light cutting compound but nothing aggressive. I do have the calipers with me though.

Legacykid
02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
bump

af90
02-26-2014, 12:28 AM
Personally to avoid high spots, after coating the surface lightly wipe down the surface evenly to knock down high spots. Waiting any appreciable amount of time significantly makes it more difficult and can require polishing.

Radarryan
02-26-2014, 12:37 AM
First question is since the wheels are new, will I have to prep them in any way other than to use an IPA wipedown?

Assuming there are no bonded contaminants, which I would think there wouldn't be but it's easy enough to check using the "baggie test." If you're clean, then you can go on to the decontamination step, which would be an IPA wipedown or use of a panel wipe product.

The method I plan to use is the Suede Microfiber towels, I will do the entire face and barrel. Should I cut the towels to a smaller size for ease of use? and I should throw them away after a single use correct?

I think that the suede microfiber cloths, such as the CarPro ones, are fast becoming the preferred way to apply coatings. I would think you can shape, cut, and do just about anything to it to make it easier to apply the coating. I would only use each cloth one, so yes, throw it away after you get done with the wheels.

Now I should wait 3-5 mins before buffing the high spots( unless it is drying quickly) With the microfiber I use to buff should I throw that away as well, or will a wash clean it out?

Honestly, every time I use Opti-Coat I have not had any high spots that needed a microfiber towel. If anything, I take the applicator and go over the area to gently smooth out the high-spot. Remember, you don't want to use the towel that can remove the coating off the bat; you want to use it, at least in my mind, as a sort of last resort to prevent high spots. If you can, try using the applicator cloth first. If it doesn't budge because it has set up too much, then you should go ahead and use the microfiber towel to knock down the high spot.

Also, on wheels I have never had an instance of a high spot. I don't know if others have, but I find the wheels to be the easiest place to apply OC.

I also saw a thread that mentioned you can use OC2.0 on brake calipers. I have a new set, now is it the same method as new wheels, simple wipedown, anything I should be mindful of?

I would think that is correct. You really should make sure that the paint on the caliper has completely vented and gassed, otherwise you should wait a month or so. I have used OC on my calipers, which are painted red, and I have had no problem. Just decontaminate with clay if needed, hit with IPA or a panel wipe, and apply Opti-Coat. You'll get the hang of it. It's easier than you think!

A lot of questions, but I have been searching a while and have not seen these specifically asked.

I have quickly learned that you never need to apologize for asking questions on this forum. I hope I helped answer your questions and happy detailing! :dblthumb2:

af90
02-26-2014, 02:42 AM
The Optimum dual pro applicators are another option for usage.

Legacykid
02-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Assuming there are no bonded contaminants, which I would think there wouldn't be but it's easy enough to check using the "baggie test." If you're clean, then you can go on to the decontamination step, which would be an IPA wipedown or use of a panel wipe product.

I think that the suede microfiber cloths, such as the CarPro ones, are fast becoming the preferred way to apply coatings. I would think you can shape, cut, and do just about anything to it to make it easier to apply the coating. I would only use each cloth one, so yes, throw it away after you get done with the wheels.

Honestly, every time I use Opti-Coat I have not had any high spots that needed a microfiber towel. If anything, I take the applicator and go over the area to gently smooth out the high-spot. Remember, you don't want to use the towel that can remove the coating off the bat; you want to use it, at least in my mind, as a sort of last resort to prevent high spots. If you can, try using the applicator cloth first. If it doesn't budge because it has set up too much, then you should go ahead and use the microfiber towel to knock down the high spot.

Also, on wheels I have never had an instance of a high spot. I don't know if others have, but I find the wheels to be the easiest place to apply OC.

I would think that is correct. You really should make sure that the paint on the caliper has completely vented and gassed, otherwise you should wait a month or so. I have used OC on my calipers, which are painted red, and I have had no problem. Just decontaminate with clay if needed, hit with IPA or a panel wipe, and apply Opti-Coat. You'll get the hang of it. It's easier than you think!

I have quickly learned that you never need to apologize for asking questions on this forum. I hope I helped answer your questions and happy detailing! :dblthumb2:

Answered everything, thank you very much. And one thing that I love about this forum that truely seperates it from others, is the camaraderie and supportiveness of its members.

Glad to be here!

oldmodman
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
As soon as you said that the wheels are clear coated my answer is to treat them exactly as you would paint.

Process just as you would paint, clean, polished, no swirls, no wax, then coat them.