PDA

View Full Version : explain this foam gun

richy
07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I'll admit that I've got my own way of doing things, but I don't get the advantages of using a foam gun. Is it quicker? Do you still use a wash mitt on it as well? Seems like one more bloody gadget to own. I see some inexpensive ones out there..just read p1et's s&s with his lowe's gun...are they ok?

D
07-08-2007, 11:25 PM
IMO Justins gun is 100x better then the little AG, and Lowes guns. I own both the AG one and Justins. Justins puts out more thicker suds, youve seen the pictures Im sure. I wouldnt necessary say using one is quicker. It actually might slow me down since I have to undo the gun on my pressure washer with a wrench and switch them a million times (4 to be exact). I dont have a quick connect for it yet. But the idea behind it is just that it removes loose dirt before even touching the paint with a sponge. I use the gun on every single car that I work on and will continue to do so.

Basically I rinse with the pressure washer, put on the foam gun and give it a pre soak, let the soap sit on for a couple minutes, switch back to the regular pressure washer nozzle and rinse, then put the foam gun back on and soak the car again, then wash using the two bucket method, then rinse, then hook up the AG foam gun with my soap/ water and clay. Then dry and its ready for polish.

I fill my little AG one up with a soap/ water solution and use that for claying.

richy
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks Dan. One more step to ensure safe washing it sounds like.

D
07-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Exactly, and well worth it IMO.

supercharged
07-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I've ween how Justin's foam gun literally was putting shaving cream.:D
I like it, and might probably get one later, but need a good pressure washer. not ready to spend $400+ on Honda pressure washer yet, but I do like it.

Dust2Glory
07-09-2007, 01:27 PM
rich i got the foam gun and its amazing. it sounds like im not as through in my wasing as d&d, but i pre-rinse, foam, set couple minutes, and use grit guard bucket with schmitt and clean water then go to work on the car. i find enough soap to clay without the extra step as d&d. fact is worth it.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
rich i got the foam gun and its amazing. it sounds like im not as through in my wasing as d&d, but i pre-rinse, foam, set couple minutes, and use grit guard bucket with schmitt and clean water then go to work on the car. i find enough soap to clay without the extra step as d&d. fact is worth it.

D2G, are you talking about the AG foam gun?

Al-53
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I have 2 foam lances...one is a Cam-lok sorta like Justins different style but same foam..and a karcher that came with the PW....foams but not shaving creme type..but its thick....

Now I have a question....Do you think the Foam thats like shaving creme sitting on paint for 5 minutes comprimises the the LSP...now the mix ratio is stronger than a bucket wash...and it dwells on the paint as a thick foam of cleaners....

I only use the foam gun for a wash prior to paint prep..not for a basic weekly wash...but had the foam lance setup as I was washing a boat prior....

Reason I ask is...My Neighbor has a Black Expedition...and I did Wolfgang about 3 weeks ago and had 2 washes since and were bucket washes....the slickness was still there after the last bucket wash.....now the other day I did a foam wash on it...with Griots soap which is very mild...I sprayed the foam on and let it dwell...as I did the wheels....now after rinsing I noticed the slickness was dead...next day checked it again..slickness was dead and felt sorta plain jane ....So I think the cream soap dwelling acts like a detergent and starts to work on the LSP....sorta like a wheel cleaner...the longer the dwell time the better it cleans....but maybe to good...

this is the second time I seen this happen...the first time was a sealant that was on 2 1/2 months so I dismissed that finding ..but 3 weeks seems not normal.....

What do you think....I think it breaks down the sealant in the strong ratio and dwell time...

I think the AG foam gun is safer on sealants....foam is not so clingy and thick and a more watery solution

PS...if your apply a wax or LSP after the foam wash..then I think its fine....but to just wash and walk away....I am sceptical as to whether it starts removing LSP's

Al

LazerRed1
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I think my CG Citrus killed the NXT on my daughter's car using the AG foam gun. I know people don't think NXT is very durable but it was fine right before the foaming. My belief is that to get any quantity of foam from the AG gun, you have to mix at a very strong concentration and that kills lsp.

Only time I intend to foam is if I'm going to strip and then lsp, otherwise it's the 2 bucket method for me.

eland
07-09-2007, 06:42 PM
This is not the kind of information I want to hear after spending over $600. on a pressure washer and a foam gun:confused:

D
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
CG citrus is a strong soap, I use it on customer cars to strip wax. On my car I use Meg's Gold Class in the foam gun and 2 bucket method. I only use 1 oz in the foam gun and 1 oz in the bucket.

LazerRed1
07-09-2007, 06:50 PM
This is not the kind of information I want to hear after spending over $600. on a pressure washer and a foam gun:confused:

If the canon works with the soap at the recommended dilution I doubt there would be a problem. Problem is that the AG gun won't make foam at that level, or at least very much foam.

LazerRed1
07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
CG citrus is a strong soap, I use it on customer cars to strip wax. On my car I use Meg's Gold Class in the foam gun and 2 bucket method. I only use 1 oz in the foam gun and 1 oz in the bucket.
I used it at 1/2 oz. per 2 gal. and it was ok on my FMJ using 2 bucket method. I used 4 oz. per gal. to strip the NXT off my PU and then redid with FMJ. Stripped it clean.

PhaRO
07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Now I have a question....Do you think the Foam thats like shaving creme sitting on paint for 5 minutes comprimises the the LSP...now the mix ratio is stronger than a bucket wash...and it dwells on the paint as a thick foam of cleaners....

I've never used a foam gun such as the pressure washer ones or the kind AG sell. In my opinion I definately think it will comprimise the LSP. When you increase the dwell time or the concentration of a cleaning product it is going to increase the normal wearing of the LSP.