PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade ECU or Not...

Pages : [1] 2

GenesisCoupe
02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Off-Topic; There is an ECU Tune available for my car. It is not so much power increase but the following;

*New Fuel Maps
*New Ignition Maps
*New Cam Timing Map
*New Throttle Changes
*Increased Rev Limiter to 7200 (Manual Transmission)
*Top Speed Governor Increased
*Absolutely more power throughout the WHOLE POWERBAND

This Tune will work with STOCK and most bolt on's by adjusting the AFR through a target lambda system.

The tune costs $500 to tune the stock ECU, or $850 to get a brand new tuned ECU.

I am also planning on getting an intake, whether short ram or cold air, but my question is...Is it worth it for a naturally aspirated car? The power increase is about 10hp/10tq

Thanks for any input!

Finemess
02-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Go for it. I had a PCM tune about 4 years ago and love it. Much more fun to drive. And better mileage is a nice byproduct.

TheRosser
02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Just having the improved throttle response is worth it to me. My friend put a tune in a 07 mustang GT and he can chirp third gear with exhaust and intake.

Sent from my typewriter

GenesisCoupe
02-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Just having the improved throttle response is worth it to me. My friend put a tune in a 07 mustang GT and he can chirp third gear with exhaust and intake.

Sent from my typewriter

With the Genesis having an 8 speed it sometimes struggles to find the right gear, takes about 2-3 seconds so hopefully that fixes it! At 43 mph it is in 8th already!! :(

02-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Here are a couple of things to consider:

- Is your ride still under warranty? Loading or changing the stock tune may void mfg.'s warranty.

- How is the tune flashed to the ECU? Handheld tuner or done by a shop (added expense)

- If adding/changing to cold air intake, in most cases tune will need to be changed to allow for more air (free updates of tune?)

This is what I use to load custom tunes onto to my mustang:

Bama SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator 38018 (96-14 All) - Free Shipping (http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3-powerflash-tuner.html)

From my tuner, I receive free updates as long as I own the car - except for a supercharger as thats a whole different animal.

Is it worth, for me it was! I didn't care about gas mileage as thats all dependent upon my right foot.

Hope this helps...

-James

GenesisCoupe
02-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Here are a couple of things to consider:

- Is your ride still under warranty? Loading or changing the stock tune may void mfg.'s warranty.

- How is the tune flashed to the ECU? Handheld tuner or done by a shop (added expense)

- If adding/changing to cold air intake, in most cases tune will need to be changed to allow for more air (free updates of tune?)

This is what I use to load custom tunes onto to my mustang:

Bama SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator 38018 (96-14 All) - Free Shipping (http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3-powerflash-tuner.html)

From my tuner, I receive free updates as long as I own the car - except for a supercharger as thats a whole different animal.

Is it worth, for me it was! I didn't care about gas mileage as thats all dependent upon my right foot.

Hope this helps...

-James

Thanks James!

Yes the car is under warranty, however the shop states that the tune will not be detected by the dealer as the tune keeps all stock scanable parameters untouched.

I would get the intake before the tune, and the shop can pre-tune the ECU to the intake before sending it out to me. They specialize on the Genesis so they have everything they need.

02-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Kinda sucks you have to change out the ecu for a tune...having the SCT handheld allows me to flash the ecu anytime I want. There's no handheld option available? With a CAI you should get at least 20-25 hp increases. How easy is it to change out the ecu?

Chris's FX4
02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Well I don't know about Hyundais, but on Fords the dealer can tell if it has been tuned even if it's been reset to stock.

I have an SCT Xcal3 with custom tunes for my truck. The biggest positives for me were instant throttle response and improved shift strategies. Can't even tell my truck has bigger heavy tires anymore and it will chirp them in 2nd.

If you're concerned about your warranty the slightest bit, I wouldn't do it. Yes, technically the dealer would have to prove the tune caused the issue under the moss magnuson warranty act, but lawyers aren't cheap.

I'd find a Hyundai or Genesis forum and see what you can figure out.

doogeem3
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
I am also planning on getting an intake, whether short ram or cold air, but my question is...Is it worth it for a naturally aspirated car? The power increase is about 10hp/10tq

Thanks for any input!

You will not gain 10hp from an intake. Don't fall for the marketing bs.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Actually it`s been proven that intakes provide great gains on N/A engines. It`s really not worth it for turbo`d cars unless there are quite a lot of other upgrades that go along with it.

OP, I say do it. Send them your ECU to be tuned.

Coopers ST
02-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Exactly, most of the time you will be luck to keep the same HP and not have a loss.

fly07sti
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Off-Topic; There is an ECU Tune available for my car. It is not so much power increase but the following;

*New Fuel Maps
*New Ignition Maps
*New Cam Timing Map
*New Throttle Changes
*Increased Rev Limiter to 7200 (Manual Transmission)
*Top Speed Governor Increased
*Absolutely more power throughout the WHOLE
This Tune will work with STOCK and most bolt on's by adjusting
the AFR through a target lambda system.
The tune costs $500 to tune the stock ECU, or $850 to get a brand new tuned ECU.

Thanks for any input!

Are you simply going to have a tune programmed or is this going to be done on on a dyno so you get some "real" before and after numbers. A lot of people speculate on how much power there car is making with certain add ons and "tunes" from
what they read in magazines or hear from friends. I say this just so you will know exactly what power you'll get for your money. Also having it on a dyno will truly be a custom tune to your specific car with the gas that you run, ambient air, ect.

valleyrider
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Are you simply going to have a tune programmed or is this going to be done on on a dyno so you get some "real" before and after numbers. A lot of people speculate on how much power there car is making with certain add ons and "tunes" from
what they read in magazines or hear from friends. I say this just so you will know exactly what power you'll get for your money. Also having it on a dyno will truly be a custom tune to your specific car with the gas that you run, ambient air, ect.

+1

If you can get your car on a Dyno and have a custom map written that would be best.

How far is the company away from your that you would be buying the ecu tune from? You might want to plan a trip to have them do it in person so it's specific to your car.

GenesisCoupe
02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Kinda sucks you have to change out the ecu for a tune...having the SCT handheld allows me to flash the ecu anytime I want. There's no handheld option available? With a CAI you should get at least 20-25 hp increases. How easy is it to change out the ecu?

No handhelds available yet, only 2 shops figured out how to tune these cars so far, plus it's a 2013 so it's fairly new. To change the ECU is SUPER easy. Pop the hood, loosen up two hinges, undo one bolt, and pull out. Oh and disconnect the battery. :)

I'd find a Hyundai or Genesis forum and see what you can figure out.

I did do my research but i wanted to get the opinion of my fellow Geeks :)

Yes that i know, the 10hp will come from the tune alone, and this is crank hp, not wheel so doing the tune for the 10hp crank wouldn't be worth it. I'd mainly do it for the changes the tune has to offer. Thanks!

Just a plug and play, no dyno as the power increase is nearly nothing.

I'm familiar with the cold air intake as my G35 made 3 horse less than stock once dyno before/after. Every car is different.

02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
If only two shops have been able to provide tunes, I'd say no. Plus ur ride is way to new and still under warranty. Everything I changed on my mustang was after warranty expired...