PDA

View Full Version : To give an estimate or not to?

Abram86
02-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I was wondering would it be a good idea for me to offer estimates to customers who are unsure about what is needed? I see big businesses doing that but would it benefit me? For a full car detail I charge 85.00 and full size vehicles 105.00. The engine detail is 25.00 add on. Some may not know if they need a full detail so I figured giving advice on what is needed might help and then price it accordingly.

hernandez.art13
02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
I feel that some people tend to forget what an estimate is:

es·ti·mate
transitive verb \ˈes-tə-ˌmāt\

: to give or form a general idea about the value, size, or cost of (something) : to make an estimate of (something)

GreatAvalon
02-22-2014, 01:13 PM
But in todays society an estimate is essentially binding. Not really, but to the customer it is.

If I was an uninformed customer and got an estimate for a $175 detail, then I make the appt and get it in there and then get a call either before or after the services had been done that its actually going to be $215, I personally wouldn't mind paying, but I 100% would be thinking "WTH he said it was going to be $175"

When people want an estimate I think they want to know 100% what its going to cost.

Just my 2 cents :)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-22-2014, 01:27 PM
You should have a good price list for all your services, based on vehicle size as well. The only thing you should technically give an estimate is paint correction.

At least, that's what I do.

VP Mark
02-22-2014, 05:09 PM
If you have set prices for services, don't give estimates. I only give estimates on paint correction and specialty jobs.

Other people work by estimate only, but they don't list specific prices either.

Its up to you, but stick to one way or the other. I don't do that much high end high dollar work, so my prospective clients prefer to know the price up front.