PDA

View Full Version : Review/Criticize my Services and Pricing

Pages : [1] 2

dublbass606
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, so here's the deal. My dad has been detailing for over 20 years (part-time) and he just recently went over his packages, add-ons, pricing (all of that good stuff) again. I told him about this section of the AGO forum and we both thought it would be a good idea to post his list of services and get some outside opinions. He's not ready to jump into the AGO forum world just yet, so I'll be mediating this discussion until then.

Here's the list of services and their corresponding prices; I'm typing it all out so I'll do my best to keep the format somewhat intact.

K&K Automotive Detailing
Services

K&K Special*

Hand wash, clay bar, hand wax, vacuum interior, clean windows, wipe down dash, clean door jambs, and dress tires.
$80.00 - Car
$105.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$130.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Pkg. #1 - Inside & Out*

Hand wash, clay bar, hand wax, and detail exterior. Vacuum, shampoo, and detail interior. Clean windows, clean door jambs, dress tires, and clean and apply conditioner to vinyl/leather. Vacuum trunk compartment.
$150.00 - Car
$175.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$210.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Pkg. #2 - The Works*

Hand wash, clay bar, hand wax, and detail exterior. Vacuum, shampoo, and detail interior. Clean windows, clean door jambs, dress tires, and clean and apply conditioner to vinyl/leather. Clean and detail trunk compartment. Clean and detail engine compartment.
$185.00 - Car
$210.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$250.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Interior/Exterior Spiff*

Vacuum seats and carpets. Wipe down dash. Clean rubber floor mats and windows. Exterior wash and dry, clean wheels and dress tires.
$35.00 - Car
$50.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$75.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Exterior Detail*

Hand wash, clay bar, hand wax, detail exterior, clean wheels, and dress tires.
$95.00 - Car
$110.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$140.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Interior Detail*

Vacuum and shampoo carpets/seats. Detail dash, door panels & kick panels. Clean and condition vinyl/leather. Clean windows and door jambs. Vacuum trunk compartment.
$95.00 - Car
$110.00 - Mini Van, Mid Size Truck, SUV
$140.00 - Large Truck, Large Van, Large SUV

Extras (plus tax)*

Rain-X Exterior Windows - $10.00
Clean & Detail Engine Compartment - $55.00
Clean & Black Out Fenderwells - $50.00
Exterior Wash
(Hand wash, towel dry, clean wheels, and dress tires) - $25.00
Paint Correction - $55.00/hr.
Headlight Restoration - $50.00

* Prices may vary due to size and condition of vehicle

So, there it is - don't hold back. I caught a bunch of things that could probably be changed while I was typing it out, but we're looking for some outside opinions, so let us know what you think. Btw we're going away this weekend so we may not get the chance to reply right away.

Some other questions my dad had were about incorporating (and marketing) a paint sealant into the mix somehow, how to price/package paint correction, how to incorporate the Mothers wax and possibly other products he uses into the descriptions or just the website or price sheet itself, and your opinions on fabric protectants and if it's a service worth offering. Thanks a bunch, we can't wait to hear back from you all.

rustytruck
02-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Price sheet looks fine. Is this part of a website or something? If he has been doing this 20yrs he knows best if those prices will work.

Firehouse Mike
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
A lot of it depends on your market area too, but these prices look VERY close to what I have for the Puget Sound area in Wa. State. Take a look at my site - Firehouse Mobile Detail - Home (http://www.firehousedetail.com)

asalesagent912
02-21-2014, 04:11 PM
looks good but why would someone pick your exterior package for 95 dollars when they can get your k&k special for 80 dollars and they are getting more done? lol Is there something im missing lol

andrewbmw
02-21-2014, 05:35 PM
A lot of it depends on your market area too, but these prices look VERY close to what I have for the Puget Sound area in Wa. State. Take a look at my site - Firehouse Mobile Detail - Home (http://www.firehousedetail.com)

You are very correct, my area these prices would be extremely low because of the living expenses in California =(

andrewbmw
02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
I feel that a wash, clay bar, and hand wax should be $80 without anything else

HD.Detailing
02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
prices seem low, but if that's your market then ok.

I's def be doing a spray wax as my hand wax for those prices.. still using my hand

inDetail
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Do as much as you can to save time and increase value and profit.
The only thing I would look into to make your life easier is including an AIO instead of hand waxing. You are doing some paint correction and polishing while adding a sealant. Doing it via DA will improve end results and add value and save time. (I don't put my sweet paste wax on any car that has not had at least one step of correction with polish/compound. I'm wasting product IMO and protecting all the RIDS in a clients paint.)
I would also look into giving up clay and looking into new tech like Car pro Decon Poly blocks. Makes decon faster and cheaper.
On your cheaper packages go with a spray wax instead of hand paste wax much faster and cheaper for you.
Basically increase speed while still turning out quality work. Look at the process for each package you offer and see where you can save on time and product while boosting end results.
You want to make sure your getting paid what you are worth and for the time you spend. Don't forget to look at the big picture not just the time your spending hands on but set up, clean up everything.
You need to build all of that into your pricing.
As far as products go try and kill as many birds with one stone. Find products that cross over and do a lot of different things like Garry Dean's Infinite Use Detail Juice, No rinse wash, detail spray, clay lube, spray wax and the list goes on.
Don't be brand loyal be specific product loyal because it works. Research products and say what can you do for me? If a polish is known to dust I won't use it. I don't care how nice it finishes down. It adds more time in clean up.

HD.Detailing
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM

WOW.. 3 step correction, then polish, seal, and then wax with complete interior detail for only 300-350?? thats at least 2 full days work

no way I'd do the interior for those prices and even just exterior would be pushing those prices

Firehouse Mike
02-22-2014, 01:57 AM
By myself, you're right 2 days......BUT if I can rope my fiance into helping, cut the time in half. Shes very good at helping me out on the bigger jobs and is really good with a rotary:buffing:

dublbass606
02-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Wow everyone, thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies. Some things I should clear up first: While it says hand wax, we actually apply Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax (liquid carnauba wax) with a DA. I guess what we were aiming for was to explain that it was not just a spray-on, wipe-off wax. We will probably change that.

Price sheet looks fine. Is this part of a website or something? If he has been doing this 20yrs he knows best if those prices will work.

Yes, thank you, my dad works hard to keep his pricing and packaging updated. The website is K&K Auto Detailing (http://knkautodetailing.com), and we are in the process of updating the new pricing and wording to the website. Btw that is my little brother in the picture, I'm the oldest son. He helps my dad with most of the detailing services when he can.

Nice website, my dad noticed you use waterless washes, is that mainly for mobile detailing so you don't have to use the customers' water? And yes, our prices are right at the top of our market area's range, we would lose business if we charged any more lol.

looks good but why would someone pick your exterior package for 95 dollars when they can get your k&k special for 80 dollars and they are getting more done? lol Is there something im missing lol

Exterior detail is vague, we need to re-word it. The main thing is that with the K&K Special, we do a 1-2-3 wash, wax, etc. whereas with the Exterior Detail we do chrome, trim, etc. We will definitely rephrase our Exterior Detail package, so our customers know what they are paying for. Thanks

I feel that a wash, clay bar, and hand wax should be $80 without anything else

Lol I wish we could do that, but for our market area we can't quite get away with that high of a price. We will definitely consider it, but it might not work for us. Thank you for the advice.

prices seem low, but if that's your market then ok.

I's def be doing a spray wax as my hand wax for those prices.. still using my hand

Yes, I like that. Aren't we also using our hands to operate a Dual Action Polisher haha? I posted at the top that we actually apply an all-in-one wax with a DA; we need to re-word our services a bit. Never thought of using a spray wax, we haven't really used any before. Any pros/cons to spray wax as opposed to liquid carnauba (which we use) and paste wax for detailing businesses?

Out of time for now, we will check back and respond to more posts later. Thanks again!

VAS
02-22-2014, 09:09 AM
. Any pros/cons to spray wax as opposed to liquid carnauba (which we use) and paste wax for detailing businesses?

If you're using a clay bar prior to applying the wax I'd say that a spray wax is as good of a shine. I use a really good spray wax that is provided by a local vendor. It saves a lot of time over applying with a DA, and I like it better for outdoor applications where the sun may be an issue. The one that I use is a blend of wax and sealers, and lasts longer than a lot of production type waxes/sealers I've used. The only disadvantage is for lower level packages where you don't want to offer a clay bar (or similar step) the DA and a good product would have a shot at removing some minor issues where a spray wax will not. What I use spray wax for the most is situations where I only did a quick exterior wash for a customer on the cheap, the added 2-3 minutes of walking around with spray wax makes a really big impression over not doing so. I will also take the same microfiber that is already damp with spray wax and go over the wheels with it. It may or may not make a big difference in how the wheels look, but it does make a big difference when the next time you go to wash the car the brake dust and grime just falls off.

Firehouse Mike
02-23-2014, 04:07 AM
So the waterless wash is really just an option for the customer or on my part if the car really isn't that dirty. It's more if a timesaver too. I've never had a customer not want me use their water, and even so I have a 80 gallon supply and a low GPM electric PW I use.

Gsrjake
02-23-2014, 11:31 PM
seems to expensive

dublbass606
02-26-2014, 12:08 AM
seems to expensive

Really? What do you think is too expensive and why? I'm not upset or insulted, just curious. My dad just raised his prices because his competition is getting way more for what they do (which is lower quality work). Even with the new prices, his prices are still lower than most of his immediate competition. Do you own a detailing business, or do you care for your own vehicles?