PDA

View Full Version : Got the call I was waiting for....

Pages : [1] 2

rolop6
02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
So a few days ago I get a call from a delership (I know what your thinking, hold on); usually I turn them down, but I've had dealerships that actually pay good money (good being $100/car) so I entertain them. Today I met up with their sales manager, I was thinking I was going to detail their cars..... I'm not! They have over 150 cars and only one "porter" working for them. What they want me to do is after the car is detailed go in and just get all the little details their guy misses. So I'll kinda be their quality control guy. After looking at their inventory I wasn't bad at all, it's a matter of just touching up little things here and there. They offered me a whopping $55 per car but remember they will already be "detailed" I just touch up. I figure I can do 7-10 a day based on what I saw. That's not a bad days pay $385-$550 a day? I was upfront with the guy and said I would try it out and see how it works, but if it's not profitable for me I would call it quits. What do you guys think?

Just02896
02-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Well it sounds pretty good to me. Just make sure you still have time for your "full service" details! :-)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-20-2014, 02:13 PM
I would put a solid definition of "touch-ups" on paper. I`m more than sure your definition and theirs will vary greatly. Especially at $55 a car. Just make sure that you have your bases covered.

rolop6
02-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Well it sounds pretty good to me. Just make sure you still have time for your "full service" details! :-)

Yeah I will. Right now I block off two days a week for delerships. The rest of the week is for my regular customers.

I would put a solid definition of "touch-ups" on paper. I`m more than sure your definition and theirs will vary greatly. Especially at $55 a car. Just make sure that you have your bases covered.

Agreed. The guy explained to me what he wants done and it shouldn't be hard. Most cars are already on line, I'll have to double check them and make shure there are no stains or visible dirt in the car.

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-20-2014, 03:08 PM
It sounds like a pretty good deal money wise. My only concern would be what kind of work this other guy does, are you gonna be expected to "touch up" a car full of holograms?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger T
02-20-2014, 03:13 PM
If the first detailer knows you cover for him, he will let you. You may end up doing what he gets paid for.

It is important to clarify what you are responsible for. Get it in writing.

Roger T

Eric M.
02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
So a few days ago I get a call from a delership (I know what your thinking, hold on); usually I turn them down, but I've had dealerships that actually pay good money (good being $100/car) so I entertain them. Today I met up with their sales manager, I was thinking I was going to detail their cars..... I'm not! They have over 150 cars and only one "porter" working for them. What they want me to do is after the car is detailed go in and just get all the little details their guy misses. So I'll kinda be their quality control guy. After looking at their inventory I wasn't bad at all, it's a matter of just touching up little things here and there. They offered me a whopping $55 per car but remember they will already be "detailed" I just touch up. I figure I can do 7-10 a day based on what I saw. That's not a bad days pay $385-$550 a day? I was upfront with the guy and said I would try it out and see how it works, but if it's not profitable for me I would call it quits. What do you guys think?

I'd be wary about the bolded part. Nearly every car I've worked that had been "detailed" from the dealership usualy meant a complete redo. Rarely ever seen any that just needed "touching up" after delivery.

GenesisCoupe
02-20-2014, 03:22 PM

That's an awesome opportunity and you should jump on it.

As this guy said, get a solid definition. You may be in for tough time.

rolop6
02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
All of you are 100% right. I'll definitely take everything into consideration.

Flash Gordon
02-20-2014, 04:54 PM
If the first detailer knows you cover for him, he will let you. You may end up doing what he gets paid for.

It is important to clarify what you are responsible for. Get it in writing.

Roger T

:iagree: I would go with the all or nothing approach

Wonder what they are paying the other guy?

HD.Detailing
02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
1. sounds like the current guy is about to get canned and looking for replacement

Doesn't make sense.. how did he hear of you?

Vegas Transplant
02-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Nothing new under the sun. Same story every year...same game, different players.

Experience says they'll drop you after peak tax refund season passes. Don't loose your core customers in the interim.

mwoolfso
02-20-2014, 07:21 PM
just establish a minimum amount of time per vehicle during the honeymoon period. earn their trust and ensure the sales mgr knows and sees the value you provide. if you are using your inventory for the touchups then that $55 is covering your overhead as well. good luck

Sent from my DROID3

Bill1234
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I would say that your job is not to touch up the missed areas, but to teach the workers on how to properly work. It would be better off for you to explain how a job is done and have them do it correctly so that your not spending hours removing rotary holograms from a car that was worked on by the dealer

VP Mark
02-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I would say that your job is not to touch up the missed areas, but to teach the workers on how to properly work. It would be better off for you to explain how a job is done and have them do it correctly so that your not spending hours removing rotary holograms from a car that was worked on by the dealer

I understand what you are saying, but from a business perspective that is killing the golden goose.

He is not getting paid to educate the other dealers, never offer services to dealers that they are not paying for.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online