PDA

View Full Version : Can wax/sealant go bad?

1vh1
02-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a tin of FK1000p from 2009 that I use on my three cars every 3 months. I must apply this stuff too thin, because even using it that often there is like 90% of it left. At this rate it will last me a decade or two.

Is there a point that I should replace this stuff?

cleanmycorolla
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Waxes will last a while. I've seen a sealant turn bad on some after like 4 years. The first wax I ever used was OTC mothers way before i joined this forum, that was five years ago. It still works fine. Great little wax too.

jamesboyy
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Most manufacturers put a experation date of six to even years before there product expire but there are products from decades ago that are still good to use to this day with that said make sure the product is not lumpy or anything and if the product seperated then shake it up and check it's consistency and always test the product on a unnoticeable place or test panel to see if it still does it's intended job

JHL88
02-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Ive had bad experience with liquid LSP's going bad.

Just make sure they are stored correctly. In a cool, dark place with the top on tight.

FUNX650
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Whatever you've done with/for this tin of FK1000p, for the last 4-5 years:
Keep up the good work. It should last a good while longer, IMO.

Shucks: I've got one Wax that's ~20-25 years old that I'll use occasionally.
I just love the smell of VOC's some mornings!!

(Or was that the smell of napalm in the morning ~Apocalypse Now)
I Love The Smell Of Napalm In The Morning. Sound Clip and Quote - Hark (http://www.hark.com/clips/rrwqcbyphn-i-love-the-smell-of-napalm-in-the-morning)

Bob

TheFrankenberry
02-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Just make sure the seal is intact. I had a plastic container of Chemical Guys Lava where the lid had a tiny hairline crack and it developed mold within two months.