PDA

View Full Version : is this a good start?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Abram86
02-19-2014, 10:15 PM
I began detailing in early Feb with very little but I made the most out of what I had. Then we had about 6 days of snow and ice. But for about 8 days of total work time I've managed to hit 700.00 already and im on course to hit close to 1000.00 before expense like equipment and supplies. Is that pretty good? How can I be sure ill have repeat months?

custmsprty
02-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Think of it this way, that averages out to $87.50 per day, on a 8 hour work day that's $10.93 per hour, 40 hour work week, $437.20 per week, 50 weeks (two weeks off) $21,860.00 a year before expsenses if your doing it full time.

Abram86
02-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Think of it this way, that averages out to $87.50 per day, on a 8 hour work day that's $10.93 per hour, 40 hour work week, $437.20 per week, 50 weeks (two weeks off) $21,860.00 a year before expsenses if your doing it full time.

Not too shabby I guess. I guess from now on I should see more of a profit since I won't have to buy anymore equipment

allenk4
02-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Based on those numbers...after you back out your expenses; you would be better off financially going to work detailing for someone else.

Nth Degree
02-20-2014, 12:44 AM
Based on those numbers...after you back out your expenses; you would be better off financially going to work detailing for someone else.

If you are only looking at the one month you would be correct. Don't forget that running your own business has unlimited potential and should continue to grow. Working for someone else limits what you can make and allows you no control. I'd rather work for myself for $30,000/year than a job I hate for $40,000/year. :buffing:

Abram, you can expect some growth but it does take time. It is not uncommon to start out fast and furious and then have things fall off significantly. This business can be brutal. If you are able to survive with that you will be fine. Otherwise a job might be more secure.

If you are not a licensed business, paying taxes and carrying insurance I would recommend not relying on it for income. Too many things can shut you down or cost you more than you make.

Abram86
02-20-2014, 12:56 AM

Well considering that I was only making 1200.00 a month on average working else where I think ill stick to doing this. What kind of insurance would I need?

custmsprty
02-20-2014, 11:06 PM

Exactly or any other job making $10.00 that's not so labor intensive.

Also, once you've set your prices you can't just start raising them later to loyal customers or they will start looking around. They will feel like you baited them with a low price to get their business.

VP Mark
02-21-2014, 08:53 AM

A bit harsh? That's more than he would be making at a minimum wage job after taxes.

OP, keep your expenses as low as possibly, give your current clients incentives to refer business to you, and grab every bit of business you can. When you are first starting from the ground up its not time to be picky its time to make money and grow.

On my third year I still rarely turn down a job just because I want the growth/revenue/experience that comes with tough jobs.

Also, once you get legit as far as operating legally and with insurance, go hit up some dealerships. It's not glamorous or fun work but it can be steady which is key for those hard starting up years.

HD.Detailing
02-21-2014, 09:02 AM
I hear on several threads about needing a license to detail cars.. what states are you from that require this? Indiana doesn't and I'm not aware you need a detailing license.. please elaborate.

swanicyouth
02-21-2014, 09:12 AM
I hear on several threads about needing a license to detail cars.. what states are you from that require this? Indiana doesn't and I'm not aware you need a detailing license.. please elaborate.

You don't need a license to detail a car anyplace in the USA. You may need business / operator related licenses, a tax setup to do business, insurance, and there may be rules about water/chemical use where you are working - but a "detailer's license"? No.

HD.Detailing
02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
That is what I thought, Indiana does not require this license being spoken of.

dsg03gt
02-21-2014, 04:22 PM

How could someone live off that??

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Easy. Watch every penny you spend. Did it through college living on my own. Then again....that was before Obama`s reign.

Flash Gordon
02-21-2014, 04:35 PM

I could live off that. I have $ 0 debt and my expenses are very low

:)

andrewbmw
02-21-2014, 04:55 PM
You don't need a license to detail a car anyplace in the USA. You may need business / operator related licenses, a tax setup to do business, insurance, and there may be rules about water/chemical use where you are working - but a "detailer's license"? No.

Unfortunately you are mistaken, in the state of California, if you are detailing cars on a mobile basis, you need a California car washing and polishing registration which is a licence you need on top of tax, business and insurance licencing. People here get busted all the time here for not having one and its a $10,000 fine, I know a reputable detailer who has gotten one of these.

And here is the proof:

How to obtain a car washing & polishing registration certificate (http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToObtainCarWashRegistration.htm)

And it has a lot of requirements and expensive insurance and bonds are required in order to get it. So I get all of this and people who are not legit undercut me because they dont have to pay for any of this which annoys me. Makes me want to move to another state and start up there.