PDA

View Full Version : How do I know how much paint there is to polish?

cheekyage
02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I am new to machine polishing and trying to get my head around knowing how much paint I have to play with before I move into a risk category of causing damage to the paint.

Here are my questions:

1. Everytime I use a DA/Forced Rotation machine am I effectively taking off paint?

2. Do I need a Paint Depth/Thickness Gauge?

3. If I use a Black Lake Country CCS finishing pad as a 1 step polish but cannot see any improvement, am I ok to then go to a Orange Lake Country CCS and then back to the Black Lake Country CCS pad or is that too much overkill?

I would like to get an understanding of what the machine is actually doing and how to ensure I do not put myself a risk of going too far to cause paint damage.

After a bit of research prior it does seem that causing any damage using a DA/Flex is very unlikely.

Any advice and recommendations would be fantastic!

Bill1234
02-19-2014, 08:09 PM
when a da/ any machine in this category spins, it is "leveling" your clear to remove the scratches and other defects. You will be taking off a very small layer of paint depending on how hard your clear is and what correction fluid,etc. You dont necessarily need a paint gauge yet, however, dont go overkill with a da and you should be fine.

Larry over at ammo nyc has a great video on DA correction

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSLEVi_SPg]Polishers and Swirl Removal Tips -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube[/video]